Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

barrel life/ caliber questions to help with next build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 02:28 AM
Gold Member

barrel life/ caliber questions to help with next build

hey guys i need your expertise on caliber choice. I've got a custom 300 RUM that I am having a blast with, but at the rate I'm shooting this thing I'll need a new barrel every other year(or sooner). it's too much fun.

I have a rem 700(.308SA) that would like to be rebuilt. it will be for long range(1k yds)rocks, paper, varmints, etc
I think I would like something in the 6mm range(lighter recoil, great bullet selection), and was leaning toward the 6x47 lapua. accuracy is #1, but right behind that is barrel life. i would like to get over/around 2k shots per barrel.

I would also like it be able to get complete powder burn and good velocity with a 22-26" barrel because I will be using a suppressor as well, and would like to keep gun length reasonable. what would be a good length for the 6x47?

so, do you guys have any recommendations for moderate to long barrel life, with great long range performance? like i said, leaning toward the 6x47 lapua, am i leaning the wrong way?

thanks a lot
Old 06-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Silver Member

Re: barrel life/ caliber questions to help with next build

The 6.5x47 may be a little better for your application than the 6x47. You should have better barrel life and more powder burn in a shorter barrel.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

If you want good accuracy and great barrel life, get another 308 barrel.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Gold Member

I'd like a little more speed than the .308 with higher BC bullets that i feel the 6x47(or 6.5x47) will offer. I may be way off, but i think i could shoot a lot higher bc bullet at a faster speed with decent barrel life out of the lapuas. I think i would burn out a barrel a lot faster than normal in a 308 shooting 155's to around 3k fps, and still not have the BC's the 6-6.5 bullets offer. please, let me know if i'm way off.

so, i guess i don't understand why the 6.5 would be better, i guess i need to read more about it. does it have something to do with less overbore? what would be the optimal barrel lengths for the 6x47 and the 6.5x47?

I'll keep reading about these lapuas, and maybe expand my search a bit. i'll look into the 6.5 a bit more.

any other advise while i'm researching? thanks a lot guys
Old 06-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

gonna have to go +1 on the .308. Speed is one thing, but accuracy is another. While the 308 is not a barn-burner in the speed department, it sure can be a tack driver and even with fairly hot loads (175g SMK with max loads of Varget or RL15) you will be able to put 8k+ or more rounds down the barrel before it might need a new one.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Gold Member

wow, 8k! i was reading a bit on snipers hide(big 308 fans) and a lot of those guys burned their 308 barrel up in 3-4k.

this article is what is selling me on the lapua 6.5x47 Lapua Tactical TackDriver

really good shooting gun, with a TI can, and a 25" barrel. it shoots lights out.

here is a snippet from that article, "Compared to the .308, the 6.5x47 Lapua has dramatically less recoil. Firing through the sound suppressor, a new long-range shooter who I put behind the rifle exclaimed, "It feels like a .22!" Because it was burning almost ten less grains powder, the sound suppressor was even more effective with the 6.5x47 than with the .308 it was designed for.

thanks guys, i'm still researching a lot.
does anyone know the barrel life on the 6.5?
Old 06-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member

One thing you need to do is determine your own definition of a barrel that is 'shot-out'. My definition would be for the barrel to begin to average 50% loss in accuracy compared to when it was at it's best. For instance, if the a rifle shoots .5moa, I would consider the barrel shot-out when it began to shoot .75moa. Does that mean I would replace it? maybe not.

I remember an article I ready many years ago in Shooting Times magazine. The author (can't remember who) had a .220Swift with a factory barrel. He shot the gun until it would not consistantly hold 1moa at 100 yards. It took years to get to that point. He then had the barrel removed and sawn in half so that he could examine the bore. To his surprise, the rifling was completely obliterated for more than half of the barrel. Only the last 10" (of a 26" barrel) had rifling.