Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Barrel Life With "Barrel Burner" Calibers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2014, 10:10 PM

Barrel Life With "Barrel Burner" Calibers

I keep reading that some calibers are "barrel burners". I can see how a competition shooter would burn a barrel, just as a race driver burns more brakes and tires in a day than I do in several years. How does that relate to me, shooting my 30-06 just enough to be ready for deer season or decompress after a day amongst the hoplophobes? I've taken an interest in the 6.5mm's (6.5-06, 6.5-284, .264 Win.Mag), so am I really looking at having to rebarrel every few years? I tend not to load hot enough to extrude primers in my '06 and I'm pretty sure it will outlive me. Is the whole "barrel burner" thing just a problem for someone who pushes things to the ragged edge?
Old 04-27-2014, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Barrel Life With "Barrel Burner" Calibers

How many rounds a year do you shoot? 20, 100, 500, 1000+?

If you shoot a box of shells (20 rounds) a year, at most, then ANY caliber will last a lifetime.

But if you factor in recreational shooting, comps, practice, reloading and developing different loads, etc... Then sure, barrel life will be drastically shorter in comparison to the guy who shoots 20 rounds a year.

And if you shoot 1000+ rounds a year, your barrels might last 2-3 years (depending on caliber). .308 Win would still last 10+ years.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicrit View Post
I keep reading that some calibers are "barrel burners". I can see how a competition shooter would burn a barrel, just as a race driver burns more brakes and tires in a day than I do in several years. How does that relate to me, shooting my 30-06 just enough to be ready for deer season or decompress after a day amongst the hoplophobes? I've taken an interest in the 6.5mm's (6.5-06, 6.5-284, .264 Win.Mag), so am I really looking at having to rebarrel every few years? I tend not to load hot enough to extrude primers in my '06 and I'm pretty sure it will outlive me. Is the whole "barrel burner" thing just a problem for someone who pushes things to the ragged edge?
Barrel life varies greatly from the use and care of it. Barrel Temperature is the biggest problem with the high velocity cartridges if not given time enough to cool after several rounds. Large powder charges will push some un burnt powder through the throat causing erosion.

Also a clean barrel seams to last longer than a dirty barrel because of the carbon left in the barrel and being scrubbed down the barrel by the bullet.

Velocity does have an effect on barrel life but with care and time between shots it will make life better.

A hunter that goes to the range, shoots a few rounds, and does not heat the barrel very much will
have a lifetime rifle in most cases.

J E CUSTOM
Old 04-28-2014, 02:51 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Agreed. A big enemy of barrel life is heat. Never shoot a barrel hot and life is increased greatly. Another factor is gas that leaks past the bullet at any stage. The more one can limit gas leakage, the better.

I have a wildcat based on a 270 case and necked down to .224". I have been using a 40gr bullet at 4700fps for years now and the rifle used to be a 220 Swift until it was converted. It had about 2500 shots done while it was a 220 Swift and it has done a further 500/600 shots as a hotrod. The barrel will still hold half a minute, as it did when I built it.

It has never been shot hot and it has fired about 100 shots with bullets other than HV drive band bullets.

GS Custom Bullets USA
Old 04-28-2014, 04:45 AM

Thanks y'all. That explains a lot. I only put about 100 rd. a year through my deer guns, so it sounds like my biggest problem will be during load development. That's all manageable. Thank you for cutting through some of the hype for me.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:46 PM
Silver Member

if i'm high jacking tell me and i'll start another thread..

i have a sendero 7mm rem mag load is 69g H1000 180 buger VLD

and i never shoot hot as a matter of fact it never gets above warm

as i wait 5 to 10 min between shots so how many rounds do you blokes

guesstamate i will get whith proper barrel maintenance before the groups

go over 1 moa ..... ?

i know it's a how long is a piece of string question just a guess is all...

cheers D
Old 04-29-2014, 01:24 PM
Silver Member

Just a guess on my part, but if you are starting at about 1/2 MOA then with proper care I would say 2500 or there abouts. < 70 gr of powder in a 7mm bore is not too bad, but a 308 it ain't!
KB