Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Barrel length and weight issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2008, 09:34 AM
Silver Member

Barrel length and weight issues

I was going to ressurect an old thread from back in Aug where you all helped me decide how to spend some $ on a new long range toy but I've got all the stuff together and I only need a little more input.

Here's what I have, Nesika single shot action, McM HTG stock with adjustable comb, Leu MK 4 6.5-20X50 with TMR reticle and barrels out the wahzoo.

I initially was offered a 28" Rock blank .338 1-10 that I was going to use for my 338 Edge build and was always 'pining' for a bit longer tube.

Well I was over at my buddies (he happens to do a lot of business with Rock) and laying in the corner was a big tube. He showed it to me and said 'I'll make you a hell of a deal on this barrel'. So now I have a 31" Rock barrel in 338 with a 1-9.75" twist. It is a HEAVY tube, right around 1" at the muzzle I believe...maybe .950.

Here's my question. What do I do with it??? Turn to a lighter contour or flute it? It will be 30", although I was considering cutting off 1" on the chamber end and 1/2-3/4" on the muzzle but the allure of the 30" tube has me in a quandry.

What say you?

I've already fit a 300RUM Rock barrel on the rifle, and have a 30" Krieger take-off (6.5) in great shape I was planning on chambering and fitting to it also in 264 Win Mag. I know I'll be sticking with the 338, but I was thinking the same rifle would be usefull as a walking gun for mule deer and antelope reamed to 264 Mag and if elk wasn't on the menu I'd switch it over for a season. The 300 RUM was a 'just because'. Mike Rock gave me a returned bbl. Nothing wrong with the rifling, but the bore had a LOT of runout. I indexed it so the curve went up and it should give me some extra vertical. It was free and a good experiment, plus it might shoot great.

Anyway, I'll have to get some accurate weights of things. I was shooting for sub 15lbs all up. Do you prefer fluting or recontouring? What weight would you want for a 30" 338 barrel and complete rifle?
Old 02-28-2008, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member

If it were me that barrel would finish at 29" as I cut 1" from both the muzzel and shank so that I'm not reading on an over sized section from lapping , I use 1" but 1/2" is probably fine.
I would then send the barrel back to Mike and have him max flute it and relap it ,on a barel that fat he can probaly take a pound out of it.

When it goes together , use a titanium brake , use aluminum rings and bases and have the stock "lightned" McMillan stock are pretty haevy and can shed a good bit of weight in non critical areas.

You might want to cantact Dave from Versico that is a member here he build some very light rifles in big calibers and may be able to give you some more insite