Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Barrel Length and Twist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Barrel Length and Twist

Quote:
Originally Posted by callingthewild View Post
Thanks Montanarifleman, that's some great information.
I'll look into the Sendero (Is that the name of the Barrel, or the make of the gun?) Barrel, along with some others.
CTW
As Mudrunner mentioned, a Sendero is a sub model of the Remington 700 and it has a fairly heavy barrel. The Sendero contour is very popular among LR shooters because it's heavy and easier to develop accurate loads for and not affected as much from the heat of firing as a lighter sporter. Yet it's not so heavy that it can't be carried. My Senderos fully decked out with NF scope and bi pod weighed about 12 lbs.

I mentioned using a light varmint barrel but what I really meant was a light varmint sporter barrel as per Broughton's specs. The Sendero has .830 muzzle diameter whereas the light varmint sporter has a .700 diameter. Most factory sporter barrels are about .600 - .630. Broughton's heavy varmint sporter is close to the Sendero contour but a slightly straighter contour than the Sendero. Lilja's #7 is also close to the Sendero. The Remington Senderos are fluted barrels and non-fluted barrels will be a little stiffer than flutted barrels in the same contour. One thing nice about the the light varmint sporter is that it will fit into a standard sporter stock which is slightly lighter and less bulky than a varmint or tactical stock. I'm having a 6x284 built with that contour (non-fluted) and putting it in a B&C Medalist. If I did a 25-06, I would do the same. A little compromise in stiffness to make it a little more carryable and handy. For larger cartridges I would go with heavier barrels.

I agree that you're probably not going going to gain much velocity in a longer than 26" barrel with the 25-06.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 07-17-2013, 10:33 AM
Bronze Member

All good stuff, and much appreciated.
I bought this 25-06 Savage Axis because of the price tag $309.00 + Tax
I'm putting a Mueller4x16x50 Tactical Scope on it.
But I'm looking to see if I can put a longer barrel on it soon.
CTW
Old 07-17-2013, 10:46 AM
Platinum Member

I believe the Axis has a standard sporter stock. If true, it won't accept anything heavier than something similar to a Broughton light varmint sporter unless you want to replace the stock.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 07-17-2013, 11:25 AM
Bronze Member

Replacing the sock, ie... New build stock is fine by me.
If I can make this a better gun in the sence of putting a longer,heavier Barrel on it, than I'll build a stock for it.
One of the things I like to do (Wood Working).
I just need to find out how the Barrel attaches to the receiver on this Gun, to know that I can have a barrel made.

I know in the long run that I'll have all the money into it, as if I bought a higher dollar gun in the first place.
But this gives me a start to deer hunt here in Michigan again this year, then work throughout the winter to make it what I want to end up with.

CTW
I thank you all for your thought, knowing I don't need anything longer than a 26' Barrel narrows that down for me,
Old 07-19-2013, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member

Before you do anything I would work up a good load for your rifle as it is. I would use a good 115 to 117 gr bullet. The 115 Nosler ballistic tip and the 117 Sierra either the Pro hunter flat base or the Game King BT bullets are great on deer. Work up to these loads.
Try with either bullet 52 grs H-4831 or the SC version with a CCI-BR2 primer in a Remington case. Or 49 grs IMR Or Accurate 4350 with a CCI 250 primer and a Remington case. One of these loads should shoot lights out in your rifle. Sight in 3 inches high at 100 yards and hold in the center of a front shoulder from point blank out to 350 yards. You will not be above or below line of sight over 3 1/2 inches which is in the kill zone of the average deer. Don't worry too much about really long range. It has been in my 30+ years of bean field shooting of deer that most shots are within 300 yards and most under 100 yards. Learn where to put your stands to put you within 300 yards of were the deer mostly travel and feed. Even if you are getting 100 fps or so less velocity with your 22" barrel I have see a whole lot of deer killed with the 257 Roberts which will push a 117 gr bullet average 2800 fps out to 300 yards or so and the deer did not know the difference. You will be amazed at how quickly a deer hits the ground dead with the 25 calibers. There is something about the 25s that just kill deer in their tracks and I have shot them with about everything between a 22lr and a 45-70.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:22 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks TR2506, this year I'm going to leave it where it's at with the set up I have, as I will use it mainly for Deer Hunting, some Coyotes, but beyond this season, I think I'll have a longer barrel and build a new stock, as I'm really wanting to play in the Long Range Coyote shooting.

CTW