Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Barrel Length and Twist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 02:27 PM
Bronze Member

Barrel Length and Twist

Looking at a 25-06 Barrel, how much barrel and twist.
I use to know much of this, but been away from it for some time.
I want to have the ability to shot very long distance.
Having said that what is the best twist per inch of barrel length.

I'm looking at ether a 28, or 30 inch barrel, my first thought is a 1-10 twist, But again, I've been away from this for too long of a period to know what todays standards have come up to.
CTW
Old 07-16-2013, 02:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Barrel Length and Twist

Just going off my .257 Wby (which is also a 1/4 bore)....But, I'd say a 26" Sendero contour with a 1:10 twist should get you there shooting the heavies like the Berger 115 VLD's.

But I couldn't see where a 28" could hurt...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member

The .25 cal is very limited in high BC LR bullet selection. A 10 twist will work for the vast majority of bullets available. That said, there are some bullet makers like Cutting Edge and Matrix that make longer, higher BC bullets for LR shooting. Neither CE or Matrix advertise the longer VLDs or ULDs. You'll have to call them if you're interested and see what they have and what twist is required and how much they are. Berger may come out with a hybrid, who knows? Otherwise the 10 twist will work for all the other bullets.

Barrel length, is a completely personal choice. Longer barrels will increase velocity but they are also more susceptibleto harmonics (whip) which makes them more finicky to develop accurate loads for. The longer the barrel I use, the heavier I make it.

If I built a 25-06, I would build it with a 26" light varmint contour so i could use it as a field carry rifle for varminting, deer and antelope hunting, etc.

In my Sendero 25-06 with 26" barrel, I was getting 3400 fps with RL17 pushing 115 gr CT's. So velocity was more than adequate.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 07-16-2013, 07:35 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks Montanarifleman, that's some great information.
I'll look into the Sendero (Is that the name of the Barrel, or the make of the gun?) Barrel, along with some others.
CTW
Old 07-16-2013, 08:58 PM
Platinum Member

Sendero is/was a sub-model of the model 700 rifle that Remington makes, that was designed for long range shooting over large sendero fields, which can be hundreds or thousands of yards across.

The barrel has a unique contour to it, and nearly all barrel manufacturers have the specs and offer barrels in this unique contour that is quite popular.

After owning a Sendero, and 2 Remingtons with M24/Mil contour barrels, I have come to like those 2 contours as my favorites, and my barrel contour of choice for my custom rifles.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 07-17-2013, 08:13 AM
Platinum Member

I don't think Remington makes the Sendero in 25-06 any more. But I have a rifle that I had built before Remington even started making the Sendero. It is a 25-06 and has a Remington action with a Shilen #6 stainless barrel 26" long with a 10 twist and it will do anything in the game field you want to do. The 26" barrel will get about all you can get out of the powder capacity of the case. If you want more velocity from a 25 cal. go to the 257 Weatherby. It all depends on what you want to do with your rifle. If it is deer size game hunting you need to take into account down range bullet performance and velocity drop off. I am a died in the wool 25-06 shooter but a man has to know his and his rifles limitations. Even though I have put shots on deer between 500 and 600 yards using 117 gr Sierra bullets leaving the muzzle @ 3100 fps I now limit my shots to 500 yards because beyond 550 yards velocity has dropped off below what I want for really good bullet performance. If I am going to hunt in a bean field where I expect to have a shot longer than 500 yards I take my 264 Win mag.
If you are long range varminting that is a different ball game. The 25-06 has a lot on the average 6mms. You can stretch the yardage out and it is quite a bit better in the wind.
If you are going to be target shooting for long range forget the 25-06 and go with something in the .264 like the 6.5-284 because there are many more better target bullets for the 6.5 and those long bullets just fly really well.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:12 AM
Platinum Member

Or he could jump up to a .280 Ackley Improved for 1,000 yard deer hunting capabilities.

Quote: