Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Barrel Lapping vs. Tubbs Final Finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 04:50 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Barrel Lapping vs. Tubbs Final Finish

I use Tubbs FF for barrel break-in, no matter factory or aftermarket barrels.
I also use his TMS now & then.
No problems, works good.

I have a lot of respect for the lapping completed by aftermarket barrelmakers. But they can't control the affects of finishing a barrel.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:19 AM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Sofie007;629019]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
A chambered and crowned barrel cannot be hand lapped without enlarging the diameter of the crown end which will destroy accuracy.

I am a manufacturing engineer with experience with lapping. Any lapping operation uses a lead-in and an extension beyond what you are lapping so not to get distortion or enlarging. That's crazy to say that an inch or two has to be cut off the end of the barrel after lapping. Don't believe everything that you read on the internet! Hope this helps.
Hey big guy lapping does open up both ends of the barrels. Working for a barrel manufacture ive lapped hundreds of them. Generally your chamber cuts out the section on the breech end while you have to cut of the crown end. If you would like to test it take some tight fitting bushings and check your next barrel u order.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffM View Post
I have used the .30 cal kit on a rifle that I discovered had a .298 bore. It had visible reamer marks and it was a bear to clean. It would shoot sometimes down into the .3's but often with fliers shooting longer strings.
After following the instructions to the letter the velocity drop was 150fps with a known load.
Shooting 11- 3 shot groups with Berger 210's there was not one flier and most all were nice triangle shaped,the smallest being .122".
There was no measurable lengthening of the throat and cleaning is much easier.
I am quite satisfied with the outcome.
Cliff
Hi Cliff.....was that a Tubbs kit that you are referring to?.......Rich
Old 03-18-2012, 03:03 PM
Silver Member

Rich;
Yes it it was the Tubbs kit, 50 bullets in all. My goal in using it was to hopefully increase the bore diameter at the chamber, thus lowering pressures. The velocity drop would suggest that it did that. I now load a few more grains of powder to recover the lost velocity.
Cliff
Old 03-18-2012, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffM View Post
Rich;
Yes it it was the Tubbs kit, 50 bullets in all. My goal in using it was to hopefully increase the bore diameter at the chamber, thus lowering pressures. The velocity drop would suggest that it did that. I now load a few more grains of powder to recover the lost velocity.
Cliff
Isn't it great when a plan actually works!
Old 03-19-2012, 12:08 AM
Silver Member

Yup
Barrel Lapping vs. Tubbs Final Finish-gun-pics-046.jpg
Cliff
Old 03-19-2012, 02:24 AM
Silver Member

Im gonna jump in this late but, can you use the Tubbs kit at any time during the life of the barrel or does it have to be a brand new unfired barrel. I have a 308 that I built with a Adams and Bennett barrel ok go ahead and laugh but i built it on the cheap, but it will shoot 1" to .75s on a good day. The barrel does have a few rough spots in it and i was wondering if after 150-200 rounds down the pipe if it would be worth it to get a tubbs kit and try to get out the few rough spots in the tube?