Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Barrel hardness

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 01:19 AM
Gold Member

Barrel hardness

I have heard of different barrels being " softer " or " harder " than others. Of theses barrels- brux, broughton, krieger, lilja, pac-nor, hart, rock, and many others I did not list, is there levels of different hardness? Which would be hardest to softest? Is this a rediculous question? Does it make much difference if there is diff levels of hardness. What are any advantages? Thanks for any help
Old 03-01-2011, 07:11 AM
Gold Member

Re: Barrel hardness

Most SS barrels, being made nowdays, utilize 416 stainless. One of the reasons is the alloy's machining properties. 416 can be hardened but I know of no barrel makers that do this.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member

Yes, there are differences here, depending on whether what heat treating processes the barrels have been put through. Some treat them to soften them before buttoning, some don't. The speed with which they're buttoned and the finished diameter they're reamed to all go into how hard the maker will want the barrel to be.

Similar situation with cut rifled barrels, and the machining qualities are what the maker's after here. Not sure what you're after here, since this doesn't necessarily mean that a barrel will last longer, or burn out quicker. A consideration, yes, but not the only factor, and I doubt too many barrel makers will reveal the specifics of their entire process. Most guard that info pretty closely.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Platinum Member

I also read on LRH, that some bench shooters and others are nitrade,spell, treating, which I guess hardens. Sounded very interesting
Old 03-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member

I saw an example of that last week, but that particualr nitriding process could only be applied to CM barrels, not SS. Kicked the Rockwell hardness up to somewhere around 70 and looked very good. Most of my barrels are SS, but the next time I go with a CM, I'll definately consider this one. Very impressive stuff!
Old 03-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
I saw an example of that last week, but that particualr nitriding process could only be applied to CM barrels, not SS. Kicked the Rockwell hardness up to somewhere around 70 and looked very good. Most of my barrels are SS, but the next time I go with a CM, I'll definately consider this one. Very impressive stuff!
Boy that barrel must have been in heat for a long time! I wonder how deep the case went. I never tried to nitride any 400 series stainless, so don't even know what the process would be for starters (keep in mind that I'm or never will be a 400 series fan).

Carbon steel barrels are usually cut from something like 4350 (I suspect everybody has their own private alloy number). Most stainless steel barrels are cut out of 416 because they know how to work with it, and not because it's the best there is. Actually 410 or 420 would be better from the data I have. But once again much harder to machine. Some folks are now using 17PH4 rearc melt stainless. This stuff is not for the faint of heart to machine, but once you learn the process it's fair. Wether they buy it in certified preheat treat lots I don't know, but suspect they are. It'll take more heat that 416, and has better strength & wear properties. A similar steel is MAR-10 from Baldwin Steel in PA. Considered interchangable with 17PH4, but has better maching properties. It only comes in a pretreat form, and special lots of steel with different Rockwells can be had. This steel will not rust. But on the downside is about twice the price per pound.
gary
Old 03-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member

I'm not sue which process Kevin is referring to, but the process that Joel Kendricks does is OK on SS. It can not be done on some actions though, SS or CM. Rockwell hardness of about 65-70 on the surface.