Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Barrel fluting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2006, 07:50 PM
Silver Member

Barrel fluting

thinking of fluting my newly built .300 ultra mag but got scared off by the barrel maker who said i will ruin the barrel if i do this. he said that the only way to properly flute a barrel is to flute it before it goes out for lapping. is this true? any help would be appreciated.

mike
Old 09-22-2006, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Barrel fluting

Mike
I spent some time in Mike Rock's shop (Rock Creek Barrels) and he fluted his before they were rifled. If I remember right it has something to do with fluting process changing the bore diameter slightly, I think.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:18 PM
Silver Member

thats what i was told but have herd several people speak of barrels that they fluted after every thing, chamber, threads, ect. and clam to shoot very well. that is why i am asking.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

I've heard/read of folks that have done it as well and as a very general rule the heavier contours seem to be less affected by the process than the thin sporter contours.

I've got no scientific evidence, just rumor/hearsay/opinion, so take it for what its worth.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:34 AM
Silver Member

Don't do it! Wait till you shoot out the barrel and are ready for a new barrel. Then order a barrel fluted from one of the top barrel makers. You run the risk of ruining a good shooting barrel if you flute it now!
Old 09-23-2006, 06:05 AM
Bronze Member

Wouldn't you want to flute the barrel only BEFORE the last stress releaving cycle you put the barrel through?
Old 09-23-2006, 08:36 AM
Gold Member

I have fluted bbls after i recieved them, they all shot very well. I didn't really know that the bore dia could change due to stresses the tooling imparts on the steel. I called several bbl makers and asked them what should i do, i got conflicting reports, one said the bbl is ruined, others said you may need to stress relive it agian and re-lap, and another said just shoot it. The big trick is dont remove much metal on each pass, take your time, this way your not building up massive amounts of stress.

I dont flute bbls anymore, unless its a test gun for my personal use.
My 338 snipe-tac, (personal was used for a test rifle.
I wanted to see just how much weight i could get off the bbl by using very large flutes. I used a 31/64th end mill, they are deep! Before fluting the gun would shoot .5moa... after fluting the gun shot 1moa, i felt sick...did i ruin the bbl? I totally cleaned the bore and used moly powder to burnish the bore, re-broke in the bbl. After 20 shots the fouling was gone and groups were back and even better, .2moa was this just a fluke? Probally

In my opinon, have the bbl fluted when you order it. This will be the best option. If any thing it will give you peace of mind.

"Let the good times roll"