Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Barrel fluted to the muzzle???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2005, 11:50 AM

Barrel fluted to the muzzle???

Discussing this on another board.......anyone ever seen a barrel fluted all the way to the muzzle???

The question came up about cutting a stainless fluted Sendero barrel to 22".......any problems with it? I'm thinking the raised "ribs" could be rounded or cut at an angle to the depth of the flutes to give the barrel a finished look???
Old 12-28-2005, 11:52 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Barrel fluted to the muzzle???

The question is why?

sell the barrel and buy a takeoff straight.

BH
Old 12-28-2005, 12:09 PM

No, the question is "Why Not"???

If the original barrel is cut, then, among other things, there won't be issues with headspacing a different barrel......
Old 12-28-2005, 01:20 PM
Platinum Member

I would not recommend it for these reasons
Fluting a barrel that was buttoned or forge rifled is going to relieve stress this can make for a slightly larger bore diameter under the flutes , custom barrel makes generaly lap their barrels as a final process to help ensure uniform bore diameter I'd be willing to bet that Remington doesen't do that
If you were to cut the barrel off in the fluted portion to may end up with a muzzel that is "loose" and is a bad thing for accuracy Even custom barrel makers don't flute to the muzzel to ensure that the muzzel is the tightest end.

You can try it it may shoot good for ya but don't be supprised if it doesen't either way it'll make for a good reason to get a new barrel !!
Old 12-28-2005, 04:50 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

My comment would be do it and see what happens. That will offer all of us more useful information then discussing theory and ideas. only one way to know for sure, give her hell!!

Personally I would not like the looks of it I don;t think but if I had to guess, I would say it would not have any adverse effects on accuracy. In fact the shorter stiffer barrel may in fact help consistancy.

Like you said, why not, try it and see. Only question I have is what is your reason for the shorter 22" barrel? Just curious.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-28-2005, 07:03 PM

Kirby

I already have a Sendero in 300 win mag with a 26" barrel.......but I prefer shorter barrels.....I have an LTR in 308 and a non cataloged VS in 223 with a 20" barrel.....just different strokes I guess.....

Here is a photo of an SSK Contender barrel with flutes that extend to the muzzle.......It's reverse tapered, but you can get an idea of how the fluting would look....doesn't look bad to me....if I decide to do it, what would you charge to cut and recrown the barrel????

Old 12-29-2005, 12:47 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Gonhunting,

I will admit, that does not look half bad!! I am suprised that I actually kind of like that look!!!

Drop me an e-mail at the below address and we can talk price, would not be much at all to be honest. Drop me a line and I will give you a quote!

Thanks for the pic!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com