Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

barrel flute timing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2009, 02:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: barrel flute timing

Well said, J E Custom.
As a person on the other side of the counter (customer), I think the same thing. I don't have the skill or tools to do the job the right way so that is what I am paying the gunsmith for.
I definitely would not be pleased if the flutes on my barrel were not indexed properly. As far as I'm concerned, the job isn't done at that point.

NRA Life Member
Old 12-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member

Part of the cost of paying for quality workmanship is cosmetics. Like it or not, as a consumer that is really most of what we see on a rifle build. So, a wise gunsmith in my opinion will be conscious of that fact.
I am in the underground utility business. Everything I put in the ground gets buried. My quality has to be high, or I would go out of business due to watermain leaks and such. Put in 35years of doing this type of work, it seems the owners are mostly concerned about restoration and cosmetics, because that is what is visible. I am sure that it is similar in the gunsmithing profession.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
It does not make any difference where the flute or rib is placed as far as accuracy but from
a cosmetic standpoint it must be timed with one or the other on top or it will look bad.

I like to time them so the rib is at the stock line and not the grove so it fits the stock
better so depending on the number of flutes you will end up with a rib or a flute on
top.

A good gunsmith will always time the fluting any way you want it.

J E CUSTOM
I Agree with J.E. When you see that which doesn't affect accuracy, you have to wonder about the unseen that does? I've had a PERSONAL experience with this....Rich