Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

barrel decision, narrowed down

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: barrel decision, narrowed down

Although I have never done it, I am told that rebarreling a Savage is 'easy'. You need a barrel nut wrench and go-no-go gauge.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
Although I have never done it, I am told that rebarreling a Savage is 'easy'. You need a barrel nut wrench and go-no-go gauge.
yeah, That's what I read too, barrel nut wrench, action wrench and a go gauge and it's good to go... The lazy and cheap part of my wants to send it in to Kevin because I know he'll do a great job, and I won't have to worry about it or buy the tools. The other part of me wants to do it so I have the experience, and so I can have the tools if needed later.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:00 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emn83 View Post
something just made my decision a little harder. I've been Emailing back and forth with Stockade, since they are making a Stock for me. Kevin Rayhill gave me a quote on rebarreling my rifle that rivals the price Benchmark gave me for just the barrel, Kevin would be using one of their barrels. I Emailed him back asking how long his turn around is on that. So, I guess my question is, despite my wanting to try rebarreling myself, would having Kevin rebarrel the rifle be something I should consider?
find out who the maker is of the barrel first,if it's a house barrel i would pass. also,you will need a little more than just a nut wrench and gauges. you will need a good barrel vise or action vise to do it right.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:06 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas steve View Post
find out who the maker is of the barrel first,if it's a house barrel i would pass. also,you will need a little more than just a nut wrench and gauges. you will need a good barrel vise or action vise to do it right.
Kevin Uses Benchmark barrels because, in his colorful language, they are better than others (his opinion). I know the tools I need, been planning this for a while, going to make my own action wrench eventually anyway
Old 06-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Gold Member

Made the decision on the Barrel. Talked to Kevin Rayhill at Stockade and set up getting it done when he includes installation in his price, so I figured, for this one, I'll have him do it. It's going to be a 26 inch heavy sporter(.7 at the muzzle) Benchmark Barrel 1:11 twist. also getting an upgraded recoil lug while I'm at it.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:01 AM
Silver Member

benchmark without a doubt. all mine shoot great