Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

barrel decision, narrowed down

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Gold Member

barrel decision, narrowed down

So, I am saving up to buy a new barrel for my Savage 11 .308. I decided to go with a 26in heavy sporter barrel, because, even though it is a little long and heavy for carrying around the MN woods, I'll be in a stand most of the time. I want to be able to get a little more velocity out of my .308 handloads. I decided to do the rebarrel myself, because I want to get the experience of doing that.

I narrowed my search down to 3 barrel brands, and 2 sources and want some opinions. First I am looking at Shilen and Brux barrels, and getting the barrel through Sin Arms. The other option is to get a Benchmark Barrel direct from Benchmark. Prices are all fairly close with the Shilen quoted on the low end and the Benchmark and Brux being quoted very similarly.

I've done a bunch of research on the barrels and am at a point where I am totally stuck because all 3 options seem very good. Thoughts?
Old 05-29-2012, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: barrel decision, narrowed down

Shilen, Brux and Benchmark - all good barrel makers. You don't go wrong with any of them. So make the decision based on something other than the maker....$$, delivery time, differences in preferred contour etc. Then make the decision and don't look back.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
Shilen, Brux and Benchmark - all good barrel makers. You don't go wrong with any of them. So make the decision based on something other than the maker....$$, delivery time, differences in preferred contour etc. Then make the decision and don't look back.
Thanks, I think it will probably end up being based on delivery time, as I was told by both that the profile would be no problem, and the money difference is not that great, on the higher end. The Shilen starts a bunch lower than the other 2, which are within like $30 quoted price
Old 05-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Gold Member

all great barrels,you can't go wrong with any of them. i would reconsider going with a heavy sporter contour though. i'd stay with at least a factory varmint contour. to me nothing feels as good as a bolt gun with a stout barrel. sporter tubes just don't have that feel.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:01 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas steve View Post
all great barrels,you can't go wrong with any of them. i would reconsider going with a heavy sporter contour though. i'd stay with at least a factory varmint contour. to me nothing feels as good as a bolt gun with a stout barrel. sporter tubes just don't have that feel.
My stock can accommodate up tp a .750 muzzle so I'll probably try to go with that as a sporter contour, both places said that isn't a problem. Main reason I'm going with that is so I don't have to deal with modifying my stock as much, and I like the look of a sporter, even if it isn't very pronounced
Old 05-30-2012, 08:42 AM
Silver Member

I have had Shilen, and got a rifle from benchmark in the mail as I type this. I dont think you will go wrong with any of them
Old 05-30-2012, 12:22 PM
Gold Member

something just made my decision a little harder. I've been Emailing back and forth with Stockade, since they are making a Stock for me. Kevin Rayhill gave me a quote on rebarreling my rifle that rivals the price Benchmark gave me for just the barrel, Kevin would be using one of their barrels. I Emailed him back asking how long his turn around is on that. So, I guess my question is, despite my wanting to try rebarreling myself, would having Kevin rebarrel the rifle be something I should consider?