Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Barrel cooling devices / practices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 02:47 AM
Silver Member

Barrel cooling devices / practices

I tend to shoot my 300 WM quite a bit. We need to participate regularly in shooting events to motivate firearm licences here in South Africa and for quite some time this was my only rifle. Between that and high ambient temperatures I suspect I've not treated my barrel as well as I could have over the years.

When doing load development I've tried shooting slowly (not a luxury I have in the required shoots), but even 5 minutes between shots and three shot groups and lots of waiting, leaves the barrel gets really hot. On hot days keeping the barrel cool is basically impossible.

In fact the sun can take care of the too hot to touch requirement without firing a shot when the rifle is in the sun on the shooting line, or in the hunting field.

I recall seeing a system in a Shooting Times in the 90's tested by Rick Jamieson that he used to cool a rifle barrel. I've also heard of guys using CO2 cylinders etc.

I'm looking for a simpler (and cheaper alternative). The question is whether I can use water to cool a barrel without risk of warping and other damage. I would not use ice water. Any thoughts on this?

I think it will save me some barrel life and whilst possibly not on this barrel, certainly on the next!

Thanks for any suggestions.

WAL
Old 11-02-2011, 05:19 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Barrel cooling devices / practices

Are you shooting under a shade?

ADDED: Don't want to disregard the basic culprit but the effects of direct sunlight (specially prolong exposure) register higher temperatures than in the shade by 10 to 15 degrees Fahrenheit and sometimes more.

I had similar challenge when I was stationed in Arizona.

If you must have a cooling device, see similar threads below.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.

Last edited by FEENIX; 11-02-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:42 AM
Gold Member

I'll run a powder fouling solvent or light oiled patch, then a dry one down the bore.

I've heard of all sorts of methods, wet rag on the barrel, stand rifle upright with bolt open for chimney effect, I've even heard of water down the bore.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams

Last edited by justgoto; 11-02-2011 at 05:45 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-02-2011, 05:51 AM
Gold Member

Abot 6 or 7 years ago, there was a short lived fad going around the shortrange BR circuit. Some shooters were using 12 volt "Bilge Pumps"(for boats) to circulate Methyl Salicilate (Wintergreen) through a modified boreguide. down the barrel and back into the sump, positioned in a cooler full of ice. It worked like a champ, was not harmful to SS barrels, but was a bit of a PITA to set up and operate. Everyone just decided to let those 6PPC barrels "air cool". The big magnums may benefit from this.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:16 AM
Gold Member

Aerator for a fish tank...pull the bolt and put a hose in chamber....runs fresh air down the inside of the barrel cooling it on the inside plus outside.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDD View Post
Aerator for a fish tank...pull the bolt and put a hose in chamber....runs fresh air down the inside of the barrel cooling it on the inside plus outside.
+1

Also, cans of compressed air.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Silver Member

You can also use cotton balls and rubbing alcohol. I used to do that when I was shooting matches with my 308 and the barrel would get hot. Just saturate the cotton ball and rub on the outside of the barrel. Evaporates very quickly and cools pretty good. Cheap and easy too!