Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

barrel cool-down

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 12:24 AM
Bronze Member

barrel cool-down

to get the best groups, how long is an adequate amount of time to wait between shots to let the barrel cool down? im shooting a rem700 6mm....
Old 09-18-2009, 12:35 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: barrel cool-down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandlus View Post
to get the best groups, how long is an adequate amount of time to wait between shots to let the barrel cool down? im shooting a rem700 6mm....
IMHO, a barrel worth its salt is going to shoot good groups firing shots back to back to back.

I tend to give my 338 EDGE 3 minutes between shots for barrel life purposes yet I shoot my 308 one right after another up to 5 shots. It has been known to shoot 5 shot groups in the area of .3" at 100 yards.

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:06 AM
Platinum Member

Because of expansion and contraction, there is no way to quantify this. At the range with competition rifles, I shoot until the barrel is just starting to get hot to the touch. Hunting rifles are different. You want that first shot from a cold barrel to count. So, for those rifles, I think its best to completely cool the barrel between shots.

Also, on some over bore capacity rifles, like the .257 Weatherby, for example, overheating can accelerate erosion of the chamber pretty quickly.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:04 AM
Platinum Member

If you want best cold barrel shot consistancy(which is what this site should be about), then give it as long as it takes..
If hot group shooting is your thing, I'd ask em at BenchrestCentral.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Silver Member

What one of our training officers has us take the weapon off line
when it becomes hot to the inside of our wrist at a touch , then place the weapon
in the rack with bolt open to draw cool air through the action to bring down
barrel heat quicker.
At another school they had a heat indicator and said not to go over 160 degrees.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:49 PM

The jury's still out,for me!

I'm using the self-adhesive Temp Strips from McMaster-Carr, to try & measure barrel temps.They are on the tops of the barrels,just under the front of the scopes.

But haven't had enough time off to really test them.

----Gnarly
Old 09-19-2009, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandlus View Post
With this caliber you should be able to get 2 or 3 shots off before the barrel needs time
to cool. check it with the back of your hand if it feels uncomfortable stop and let it cool
down 5 to 10 min.

If you have a sporter weight barrel this will be about right ,With a heavy barrel 4 or 5
should be no problem.

And as stated if you shoot the big cartriges ( 100+ grains of powder) they will heat up
much faster. I had a 30/378 with a #3 contour barrel and after only one shot of 122grs
of powder you could feel the heat and after 2 or 3 shots I needed to wait

Some match rifles must shoot 10 to 20 rounds in quick order but they are normally heavy
barrels and even though they get hot the heavy barrel absorbs and distributes the heat
better.

I have one of the infrared temp readers for checking exhaust temps on race cars and it works
well for barrel temps and is easy to check any location on the barrel.

But if you use the back of your hand you will never over heat a barrel.

J E CUSTOM