Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Barrel cleaning process?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2006, 09:29 AM

Barrel cleaning process?

What is the best barrel cleaning process? I want to get the most out of my Rem 700VS .308. Is there any good books that go into extensive detail? I have fired only three shots through the barrel since I bought it, and I would like to break the barrel in. Okay, so I guess I am wanting the complete barrel break in process. I plan on using 150 grain FMJ-BT for the break in process.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:51 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Barrel cleaning process?

Check any custom barrel manufacturers web site and you will find their recommended technique. Funny thing is that they will all be different. Kind of like breaking in a barrel, everyone knows how but they all do it differently.

Make life easy for yourself. Spray some WipeOut up the bore and just leave it over night. Vawalla---its done.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:12 AM

In my opinion there is no singular way to clean a barrel. There are many items to consider, not the least of which is the type of barrel steel. Type of cartridge and number of rounds would probably be next.

There are many cleaning fluids out there with varying degrees of usefulness, ask your shooting buddies what they use and more importantly why they do so.

I suggest that it is also important to keep your barrel coated between uses, personal preference is 50/50 mixture of Hoppes #9 and Penetrene, I got this froma BR shooter and it works well. Patch out before using the rifle.

Roscoe
Old 08-12-2008, 12:30 AM
Gold Member

Get wipeout and wipeout accelerator (makes wipeout work faster). You will see the copper drip out. The have a new product now called patch out. Wipeout is foam and Patchout is liquid.

Apply the accelerator with a patch, spray the wipeout or apply the patchout leave it overnight and run a few patches down the barrel. Third patch should be totally white. They say it has lubricants and you don't need to oil but I put a light coat of FP-10 on after I'm done anyway.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:37 AM
Gold Member

Vawalla? WTF?
Old 08-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Silver Member

Do yourself a favor and just shoot your gun. When it stops shooting accurately- clean it with wipeout, then shoot it some more.

Our 308's may get cleaned every couple hundred rounds.......

If you insist on "breakin in your barrel" here's how you do it....... grin

YouTube - Proper Barrel Break-in Procedure
Old 08-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll-Yur-Own View Post
Get wipeout and wipeout accelerator (makes wipeout work faster). You will see the copper drip out. The have a new product now called patch out. Wipeout is foam and Patchout is liquid.

Apply the accelerator with a patch, spray the wipeout or apply the patchout leave it overnight and run a few patches down the barrel. Third patch should be totally white. They say it has lubricants and you don't need to oil but I put a light coat of FP-10 on after I'm done anyway.
Roll-Yur-Own,

Our cleaning methods are so close

I use WipeOut Accelerator and Wipeout foam. I send patches soaked with Wipeout Accelerator down the bore until they mostly come out clean, this usually takes about 5 or 6 patches. This gets the bulk of the gunk out. I then scrub the barrel with a nylon brush and send 2 more patches of Wipeout accelerator through. I never use any type of bronze or metal bore brushes, nylon works great.

Next I shoot wipeout foam through the barrel and let it soak for about 6 hours. I used the nylon brush again to scrub the wipeout foam and push the rest of the gunk out of the barrel. I patch it clean which usually takes another 5 or 6 patches to come out clean. I then send 2 soaked patches of Kroil down the barrel and dry patch it dry with two patches...Done. Under a borescope my barrel is pristine and this is a no fuss way to clean a barrel.

Wipeout products makes cleaning simple and easy and scrubbing with a nylon bore brush isn't a big deal. Maybe adds another minute or so to the process.

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!