Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Barrel cleaning- fast twist barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2006, 11:41 AM
Bronze Member

Barrel cleaning- fast twist barrels

Does anyone know whether the use of heavy for calibre bullets in fast rifle twist barrels leads to a requirement for more frequent cleaning due to copper fouling?

Is there a preferred number of shots between cleaning sessions in such scenarios, or does one look for accuracy fall of and simply clean at that point?
Old 09-02-2006, 01:21 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Barrel cleaning- fast twist barrels

I can only speak for my personal rifles in 270 AM, 277 AM, 7mm AM and 338 AM. In these I use bullets up to 195 gr(270), 200 gr(7mm) and 350 gr(338).

These have been in twist rates from 1-7, 1-8, 1-9 and 1-10.

I have yet to see any difference in the Lilja barrels one twist to another as far as cleaning as long as the barrels are properly broken in at the start of the rifle life.

That said, no matter what the barrel design, I tell my customers to clean every 30-35 rounds to keep peak accuracy and consistancy no matter the chambering.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-02-2006, 03:27 PM
Bronze Member

Kirby

Thank you for your reply.

On my previous post re heavy .277" bullets for a 1:8 twist for the Win .270 just to let you know I spoke to Richard Graves by phone.

He is a real nice guy and the upshot is I have ordered a 100 to try out, whilst I await their arrival I just need to figure out some suitable loads.

To aid expansion at the lower Win velocity Richard will open the meplat slightly from those used in your own calibres, neat! Thanks for the heads-up on Wildcat Bullets
Old 09-02-2006, 04:05 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

600Nitro,

What bullet weigth did you go with, knowing Richard I would guess he recommended the great 169.5 gr ULD RBBT.

If that is the case, I suspect you will get very good performance. It should expand well but still retain quite a bit of weight for a conventional cup jacket design.

I agree with your comments about Richard. Every project he works on a customer with he takes on like its a personal project and he truely cares if it works or not. And if it does not work, I have never met anyone more willing to work his ***** off to find a solution to the problem.

There is a reason that Wildcat bullets are stuffed in all my Allen Magnum rounds. They are great bullets but more then that is the man behind them.

Keep us posted when you get those pills in the air.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-02-2006, 05:38 PM
Bronze Member

Kirby

Yes 169.5 grains bang on, the 6 weeks delivery time cannot come soon enough.

I wil certainly let you know the outcome, thanks again for a great contact

Regards

Jonathan Tomlinson