Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

barrel cleaning with a brake?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2009, 11:14 AM
Silver Member

barrel cleaning with a brake?

For those of you that use a gun with a muzzle brake on it, what is the way you guys clean with the brake? Do you take it off when you clean the barrel and then clean the brake seperately or do you just leave it on and clean normally. I have been cleaning with the brake on the guns and using Q-tips to clean in the holes of the brake. I cant always tell when the patches come out clean because of the residue in the brake and the solevent that gets trapped in the holes and was wondering if it would affect the accuracy of the gun to remove and replace the brake every time you clean the gun or not. What does everyone here think?
Old 03-30-2009, 11:44 AM

Re: barrel cleaning with a brake?

I have only had one rifle with a muzzle break, and removed my brake when cleaning the barrel.

As far as accuracy goes it should not have any effect.

Take Care
SC
Old 03-30-2009, 05:47 PM
Silver Member

Re: barrel cleaning with a brake?

thanks for the response. Maybe i was just thinking too much into it. I had the thought that if the torque on the pillar screws could make a difference in the shot groups/accuracy of the gun that maybe the having the same torque on the brake might matter or that somehow removing it and reinstalling it could change the harmonics of the barrel or something like that. I guess ill just have to try it and see.