Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Barrel cleaning ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Barrel cleaning ?

Definitely an extreme case of over cleaning ! Don't try and get all the copper out just manage it !
Old 05-15-2010, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member

If it's Shooter's Choice copper remover it has a strong ammonia base and if not used properly can etch your barrel. IMHO I prefer using a nylon brush and don't think every trace of copper must be removed.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
If it's Shooter's Choice copper remover it has a strong ammonia base and if not used properly can etch your barrel. IMHO I prefer using a nylon brush and don't think every trace of copper must be removed.
I actually believe its a good thing to leave "a little copper" to smooth the rough spots. The best thing I've found to remove copper is Bore Tech Eliminator and it will not hurt your barrel if you leave it in overnight! A few swipes with IOSSO helps polish up the rough spots after you get the copper out. I usually finish everything off by running a couple of patches with Kroil and it's ready to shoot. The Kroil will help to prevent dry fouling on your first shot.....Rich
Old 05-16-2010, 05:11 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperjwt View Post
I just noticed today while cleaning one of my guns that the barrel was warm and did not really pay it any mind but as I kept going it got very hot just from rubbing the patches back and forth through the barrel
Good grief! Don't DO that! You will beat up the throat, the crown, and about everyplace inbetween. You can destroy the accuracy in a barrel cleaning it faster than about any other way.

Highly recommended you immediately go to the 6mmBR.com web site and read the article about cleaning rifle bores before you even touch another cleaning rod.

http://www.6mmbr.com/borecleaning.html

Fitch
Old 05-16-2010, 09:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
Good grief! Don't DO that! You will beat up the throat, the crown, and about everyplace inbetween. You can destroy the accuracy in a barrel cleaning it faster than about any other way.

Highly recommended you immediately go to the 6mmBR.com web site and read the article about cleaning rifle bores before you even touch another cleaning rod.

Bore Cleaning Method

Fitch
+100!!!!!
Old 05-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Platinum Member

Boy am I ever glad I found BereTech Eliminator. I just cleaned the bore in my 338 LM after 50 firings and it took only 12 patches run through 3 sets of 4 with a 10 min soak between. I have tried many cleaners, too many to mention, but Bore Tech kicks all their butts.

Jeff
Old 05-16-2010, 10:02 AM
Platinum Member

Hey shooters every one of you is wrong. The best is KG systems line like KG1 and KG12 for high speed carbon removal and amazing copper removal with out ammonia .