Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Barrel channels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2006, 10:54 AM
Bronze Member

Barrel channels

Not that I'm lazy (well, maybe just a little), but I have two forends for my Encore that need gobs of wood removed to make room for the heavy varmint taper barrels I've got. I've probably spent 6+ hours on the one that's closest to completion with roughly 3/16" to go (3 hours?) on the one I've been working on. I'm really not looking forward to spending 9 - 10 hours channeling the other one when I'm done with this one! I've been wrapping coarse sandpaper around a deep well socket and applying copious amounts of elbow grease. Any suggestions as to how to make this easier? I don't have a router/table heavy enough to make the cut and the forend is already tapered anyway, so making a straight cut along a fence is out of the question.
Thanks for any and all input.
Coyoter
Old 07-31-2006, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Barrel channels

Xacto

They make a chisel handle that has different types of blades.

Xacto

What you want is the half round one- X 155.

While you are messing around with it you might as well get a square one too.

Work with the grain, not against it.
I use a glove so I don't rub my soft little hands raw on the wood. Wouldn't want to chip my nails now would I

Do not work with the chisel on the last half inch of the barrel channel. Same same with the wood near the top of the barrel channel where a slip and goof up will show. Use your dowel for it so it is nice and smooth looking.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Barrel channels

Go here and pick the size you need. I've had the wrong size for years but still removes wood well for whatever size channel that's needed. Link About 20 bucks.