Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Which barrel and cartridge??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2004, 02:19 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Which barrel and cartridge??

VH hit the nail on the head when he brought up brass quality.

You wouldnt build a $500,000 luxury home on a lousey foundation. The brass is like the "foundation" for a good load.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:42 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks guys, you've given me a couple of angles I hadn't looked at before. I will more than likely go with a Krieger barrel. As for cartridge, might go with Rem mag no prob. getting brass and still a fine cartridge, or maybe the WSM you have suggested. Really don't know anything about the WSM except they are short and fat. By the way, the action I was going to use for this is a Win.
Old 02-14-2004, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Short and fat = efficient. Compare the 30-06 to the 308. The 308 hold about 47 grains with a bullet and the 06 hold about 63 grains of powder with a bullet in the case. With bullets of 175 grains and less, the 308 is only about 100 FPS slower than the 06 with much better inherent accuracy. Each case is the same diameter. The 06 is quite a bit longer.

One can make the same comparison to the wsm and the RUM. Large case differances, slight gains in performance. Now if you compare the 7mm wsm vs the 7mm Rem mag, they about equal each other. The wsm will offer better accuracy potential and less recoil.

One of the benefits to shorter is that more of the actual primer flash reaches more of the powder. Thats one reason why they are so efficient and accurate.

[ 02-14-2004: Message edited by: meichele ]
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 02-14-2004, 05:05 PM
Silver Member

In addition to the brass, the bullet type is going to come into play if you go over say a Rem 7 mag. I had an STW that would scoot 140 grain bullets over 3500 FPS, but they were absolute bombs when they hit something. I have had trouble getting the necessary accuracy out of controlled expansion bullets which are really required for these speeds. I dropped down to the 7MM remington mag and use Sierra 160 grain bullets and Winchester Powerpoints. I have had great luck with Lilja barrels as well as Douglas. Good luck on your project.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:33 PM
Platinum Member

KurtB

If you're having problems with the 7STW and explosive terminal performance try the Nosler Accubond bullets. They are very accurate, have bonded cores and are reasonably priced for a controlled expansion bullet.
In my 7STW I can shoot the 160gr Accubond into .5 moa @ 200yds with no problem. They are definately worth a try.

VH
Old 02-14-2004, 07:33 PM
Silver Member

VH, You really have a load going with that STW. I have had great luck with the 200 grain Accubonds in a 30-338. That is the kind of accuracy you need to take advantage of the tremendous velocity you are getting with the STW. I might have to try some in my Remington 7 mag. Any shots on game with them yet? They should be very good and I doubt you will recover one. I also have heard good things about the new Hornady interbonds. Have you had any experiences with them? Thanks for any info. Kurt
Old 02-14-2004, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member

Unfortunately, I did not huntg with the 7STW this past fall season so I do not have any first hand info on the Accubond's terminal performance.
For average distance whitetail hunting I prefer to use my 7mm-08 and 140gr bullets. The lighter Accubonds were not available earlier so I have not had a chance to try them yet. The 7mm-08 coupled with a 140gr B-Tip make whitetails run for cover.
Unless the 140 Accubonds won't shoot I will probably not be using the Interbonds. Over the years I have had really good luck with Nosler bullets.
That's not to say that I don't shoot Hornady A-Max's, Sierra SMK's and Barnes X bullets, to name just a few. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

VH