Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Barrel Burners

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2008, 08:36 AM
Silver Member

Barrel Burners

My question is what makes a particular cartridge a barrel eater. I see that some of the 6.5's seem to have this problem. But in comparison a 7mm Mag has more velocity than the 6.5-284 or even the 264 Win Mag, but not much is said about it. Does it depend more on the shoulder angle, the amount of powder or is it strictly a velocity thing. It seems that if a person was too take care of the rifle, it should last them a long time before having problems. Also for a person that does not shoot a thousand rounds a year, more like several hundred, should'nt say a 264 last basically a lifetime of hunting. Thanks in advance for the response.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:50 AM
Gold Member

Usually the smaller bores with the bigger powder charges give the most barrel wear.
If you pump 94 grains of powder behind a big 338 you'll have less wear than 94 grains behind a 30 caliber.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member

It has to do with the case capacity in relation to the bore diameter. The 264 Win Mag has the same case as a 7mm RM, therefore less barrel life. The 7RM has the same case as a 338 Win Mag therfore less barrel life, etc.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member

Simply put, a lot of powder and a small bore. The 7mm rem mag and the 264 winchester are basically the same case but you go down from .284 bore to a .264 bore. With like BC bullets they get about the same velocity. The 264 winny is not a bad barrel burner by the way. Mine has been shot a lot for many years and is still a very good shooter. The 264 STW or 300 wby necked to .264 will have a short life of premium accuracy. These two along with the 7mm ultramag, 30-378 wby, 257 STW and a few more similar rounds are ones I have built that definitely began losing their accuracy after about 500 rounds and they just taper off until they are just not effective at all. If you get these type rifles zero and shoot sparingly for hunting.

I believe practice with your rifle and a lot of shooting gets you very good with your rifle. Therefore if a guy saves his money for a top long range hunting rifle I always try to influence them to get a big 338. Nothing kills better at long range and they will last you a lifetime. There is absolutely no comparison to an animal hit with a big 338 and one hit with a smaller caliber. My favorite pet 338-378 has had the daylights shot out of it for years as a go to hunting rifle and it still holds extreme accuracy. I don't know if the average guy could wear out a 338 Lapua or a 338 ultramag size case since they shoot nearly a third less powder than the big 378 and similar case stuff. If you start necking those huge cases to small calibers you get a lot of velocity but the accuracy doesn't last for as long as you would like. If you want to shoot the smaller calibers it seems the short mag case is very accurate and will last a long time. I have no personal experience with them but I built some when they first came out and those guys have shot them a ton for several years and they are still very accurate. I just never did any of those for myself since I had all the wildcats off the 280 and 30-06 case that will outperform the short mags and also retain excellent barrel life with cheap brass.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Silver Member

Thank you guys for the answers. I figured that was more than likely the reason. Here's the deal, I have a Rem. 700 in 338 Win Mag. As of right now this is probably a lot more rifle than I really need. Compared to 99.9% of you guys, I'm more of a mid-range hunter- 800 yards or so. The rifle shoots the 225 Accubonds extremely well and is consistently hitting right at about the 2950 mark with the factory barrel. I was considering re-barreling it into something a little smaller but would still stretch out there. I really only hunt mule deer and the occassional elk. Whats your thoughts.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

What burns barrels up perhaps as much as any specific chambering is how the rifle is used and cared for.

I have seen some pretty extreme chamberings have unusually long barrel lifes and also seen some pretty mild chamberings get severe throat wear in a surpisingly low number of rounds down the barrel. All comes down to how the rifle is used and if its allowed to overheat.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
What burns barrels up perhaps as much as any specific chambering is how the rifle is used and cared for.

I have seen some pretty extreme chamberings have unusually long barrel lifes and also seen some pretty mild chamberings get severe throat wear in a surpisingly low number of rounds down the barrel. All comes down to how the rifle is used and if its allowed to overheat.
That is good to hear. I am nearing the completion of a 25-300 Wby Mag that I plan on using for a hold and shoot out to 400 rifle. Mainly for White Tails in North MO and maybe a few Antelope. I have really been kicking my self for choosing this cal. I probably would have been a lot better off with a standard .257 Wby.

Jeff