Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Barrel breakin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2007, 12:22 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Barrel breakin

Thank you Jeff!!!

That really makes an awful lot of sense.

I wonder then, what if anything could be done with products like Molyfusion. I have been lurking around the internet researching barrels and related products for some time, and have, from time to time, encountered what appeared to be independant reviews on various message boards. They all appear to have nothing but good to say. Plate +, and microlon have similarly good reputations.

Some things to bear in mind with products like these. These are lubricants. As such, they will decrease the pressure behind your bullet, potentially leading to a loss in velocity. More powder can be added to gain that velocity back, as you're just pushing pressure back up to normal levels.

I must wonder... Is there a net loss or net gain in barrel life this way? While the lubricant coating helps prevent metal on metal shearing, and also insulates the steel from heat (and more importantly carbon migration), the flip side is more powder needs to be burned for the same performance. This would be a rather interesting experiment!
Old 03-03-2007, 01:01 PM
Silver Member

Draz,

I see two different issues here but you bring up good points. Burnishing the barrel with some type of lubricant or moly may not be a bad thing any may work as a positive, it could also be really bad for any number of factors.

Basically as Mike Rock stated he uses moly to fill in any micro lines after lapping provide a burnish (barrier) to prevent metal-to-metal contact.

Repeated coatings of lubricants such as moly from moly coated bullets is a whole other issue as you start building up the black moly ring. I donít know what moly fushions is or itís purpose. It you used it as a way to burnish the barrel it may work very wellÖdonít know.

As for independent review, those can be a crap shoot. Unless they detail each and every test that was run, how it was run and how and by what it was measured with you really donít know.

Products go through reviews of various types. A lot are very narrowly focused to allow the product manufacture to make a certain claim. It could have failed all the test but one that were conducted but passed the one they needed it pass to make that statement. Look at radar detectors. Everyone boast it beats the competition hands down in some independent test, but finding those results is next to near impossible. One detector may have performed better and detected x-band radar at 37.5 degree angle better than the other units being tested. Now they make the statement that in a head to head competition we beat our competition hands down.

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 03-03-2007, 02:21 PM
Bronze Member

Moly fusion is a bore treatment oil that you run down the bore in patches. Some have plugged the chamber and poured the stuff into the bore and let it sit. At any rate, it's a one time treatment with a maintenance (diluted) oul that your supposed to use at a given interval to renew worn off treatment.

Personally, when I try it, it'll be on some scraps of steel first, before I run the risk of hurting my barrel. Only after I get a chance to test its properties up close will I decide if its a good idea.

The reviews I've read thus far are anecdotal. Shooters and enthusisasts who've used it and gotten positive results. Not scientific, purely anecdotal, which is why I won't trust the stuff until I run some actual tests of my own.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:29 PM

I have been "lurking" on this site for some time, and this is probably the most informative, and perhaps myth disponding, thread yet. Thanks guys!
Old 03-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Barrel break-in

Interesting material here. Thanks for taking the time to research, and then share, this information. I've read recommendations from several barrel manufacturer's and they seem to vary substantially. The guys with the expensive bore scopes have the visual advantage - for sure - when it comes to figuring out the best break-in procedures.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:52 AM
Platinum Member

Jeff In TX,

Well written! Does make a lot of sence!

Thanks!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 03-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Gold Member

Jeff, I never had it explained to me in such detail. Thank You for sharing. I admire the way you stated facts, told you who said them and why.

I have always suscribed to the view my gunsmith told me years ago....
Shoot the gun and it will eventually be broken in. There is no way of telling exactly when. It could be 6 rounds it could be 36. Who really knows. When I get a new gun I shoot 3 rounds and clean then I shoot some 3 & 5 shot groups, usually about 15-20 rounds total. Clean again. Then go to my normal cleaning procedure - 40 rounds or end of hunting season, whichever comes first. My custom barrels usually start grouping well and cleaning easy pretty quick.

Factory barrels are a waste to spend any of that time.

I also switched to Wipeout last year, which I use with the wipeout accelerator, and it works amazing. Copper and fouling literally drip out of the barrel. Best part is no brushes. It also has protective lubricants, so oiling is not needed. The great thing about that is that when you go to the range after cleaning your first group is right on and no fouling shots are required.

I'll admit I was skeptical at first about the no oiling thing, but I left it last year and no problems. Although, if you plan on storing your gun for some time, oiling wouldn't hurt.

Thanks again for sharing!