Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Is barrel break-in really needed for factory guns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Silver Member

Re: Is barrel break-in really needed for factory guns?

My compliments sir to both your choice of video accrutirment as well as to your good fortune in companions. She is quite the fine specimen of a woman if I do say so myself.

May I inquire sir as to the make and model of the equipment you purveyed this video with?

I genuinely enjoyed the viewing of both, if you dont mind me saying so.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMurf0505 View Post
Barrel break in is an idea sold to shooters by barrel makers who want to sell more barrels.
Barrel Break-In
Look at this article by Gale McMillan and decide for yourself.
The best way to sell barrels is to build good ones and improve the life of one .

There are many reason that we buy certain brands of barrels. Quality,barrel life,accuracy
and service. Without these attributes barrel makers don't last long.

When a barrel maker tells you to break in a barrel or not to break in a barrel it is in his
best interest to steer you in the right direction for his barrels so you will buy from him in
the future. It is nor a conspiracy.

Most barrel makers will tell you to break there barrels. A few will tell you don't worry about
it. Do what they say and you should be happy with the results.

I have tried most all barrels and strangely enough the ones that recomended breaking a
barrel in have been My best performers in all areas.

I would have to say that barrel break in is up to the individual and is not a conspiracy by
the barrel makers because if there barrels dont last long most people will not buy anymore from
them.

Quality Sells - bull $#!t smells.

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-10-2010, 01:32 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMurf0505 View Post
Barrel break in is an idea sold to shooters by barrel makers who want to sell more barrels.
Barrel Break-In
Look at this article by Gale McMillan and decide for yourself.

That conspiracy theory makes no sense.

1.) From what I've gathered, 5 to 20 shots are needed. I just so happened to have 20 cartridges of load development ready to shoot. Extra shots shot, 0.

2.) I doubt the force of 60 brass brush strokes and 10 minutes of solvent time compare to the forces of the 20 copper bullets being fired. Maybe I'm wrong?
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 05-10-2010, 01:22 PM
Gold Member

Goodgrouper do you still think Tubb final finish would be good for new factory rifle ? I am getting a savage 111 long range hunter for grandson. The rifle is being ship form the factory to Savage Gunsmithing.com. Here is what he will do. Us a custom parallel ground recoil lug that is also oversize to transmit the energy over a larger area with less chance of flexing of recoil lug. The front ring of the action, the face of the barrel locking nut,bolt locking lugs and the bolt face are precission machined. This effectivly makes the entire action, recoil lug and barrel as if they were one uniform piece to maintain 100% concentricity with the chamder and bore. Then he will bed the stock. then he will put Ken Farrel g- force 20 moa base and tactical rings,then the new viper PST 6X24-50 FFP SCOPE. You can see i am trying to get the best i can out of a factory rifle. Do you think i should do the 20 rounds or less ? Thanks for info i would like this to be a shooter for my grandson. Joe
Old 05-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Silver Member

If your new barrel has a break in procedure, per barrel maker, and you choose not to use it because another maker said it was a "myth". Which one will you go to if your barrel doesn't perform up to your expectations ? I know what I would do. After the price, and wait, on a rebarrel, I think a few rounds of ammo and a little "wasted" time is not that much trouble. Not for me, anyway.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

Plus 1 on that! Nothing to lose and probably something to gain.....Rich