Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Barrel Break-In

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 07:53 PM
Bronze Member

Barrel Break-In

Whats your alls thoughts on breaking in a barrel? Worth it? I was going to try the method below given to me by a buddy.

Approx 20 rounds. cleaning between every shot.

Should I do more, less, or not even mess with it?

BARREL BREAK-IN

Items Needed:
308 caliber patches - NEED ALOT

308 caliber jag

Cleaning rod...use a good Dewey rod....don't use those walmart metal rods b/c they may scratch the inside of your barrel/action or crown.

Bore Clean Rod Guide NOT REQUIRED BUT HANDY....keeps chamber clean and aligns your rod to bore chamber much easier.

2-3 308 caliber brass brushes

Sweets 7.62

J-B Non-Embedding Bore Cleaning Compound

Butch's Bore Shine/Shooters Choice or equivalent copper solvent (similar to Hoppes #9). (one bottle is plenty but two would be a good idea b/c you will use alot of this)

Barrel Break-In/Lapping Steps

Shoot

Push a patch wet with solvent (Shooter's Choice or equivalent solvent) through the bore.

Wet a brush with solvent and make eight or ten passes through the barrel. Repeat with a second application.

Push two or three wet patches through the bore allow the solvent to soak in the bore for 5 to 10 minutes.

Push two or three dry patches through the bore.

Install brass brush and wrap a patch around brush and smear/wipe JB all over it and run it up and down the barrel (FULL LENGTH of riflings) several times...approximately 15-20x. Save this brush for use only with this JB step...it will be ruined in respect to being used as a brush alone after you use it with JB but will serve as your JB patch brush from this point forward.

Push two or three dry patches through the bore to be sure you have removed all of the JB compound and loose foulings.

Push a patch wet with Sweets repeatedly back and forth through the bore and then allow the solvent to soak in the bore for no longer than 10 minutes!

Push two or three dry patches through the bore to remove the Sweets and fouling residue.

Push a patch wet with solvent through the bore.

Wet a brush with solvent and make eight to ten passes through the barrel.

Push two or three wet patches through the bore to remove the residue and allow the solvent to soak in the bore for 5 to 10 minutes.

Push two or three dry patches through the bore. May need repeated to ensure all residue is removed. I always "butterflied" the patches (doubled them up) to ensure I was reaching every nick and cranny of the bore....was tight to push but...

Wipe out the chamber using a large patch on the end of your cleaning rod and
you're ready to go again.

Shoot

Repeat steps repeatedly for approximately 20 shots
Old 02-20-2012, 06:57 PM
Gold Member

Re: Barrel Break-In

I didn't do a real bbl "break in" for my rifle, Just took it to the range, shot 60 rounds and did a thorough cleaning afterward. Some might call that heresy, but after researching it I just couldn't find what breaking a barrel actually does. Later found an article by Gale McMillan arguing against the need for breaking in a barrel.

I don't knock people who break them in, for my it was just one of those things where I didn't see what it did for the bbl.

maybe when I do my build, someone will convince me I need to do a real break in and I will.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:29 PM
Bronze Member

Please no JB and no brass brush during barrel breakin or anytime for that matter, unless it's a last ditch effort to save a barrel. If you do a barrel breakin I personally think that it helps a little even on a smooth match grade barrel. They usually take less than 10 shots of cleaning between rounds and then a few three shot groups between cleanings to run pretty clean. I personally would use only a nylon brush sparingly and patches frequently, let the solvents do their job, If you talk with most barrel manufacturers they will tell you to a man that they see more barrels ruined by over aggressive cleaning and lands being damaged than by shooting.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bughole View Post
Please no JB and no brass brush during barrel breakin or anytime for that matter, unless it's a last ditch effort to save a barrel. If you do a barrel breakin I personally think that it helps a little even on a smooth match grade barrel. They usually take less than 10 shots of cleaning between rounds and then a few three shot groups between cleanings to run pretty clean. I personally would use only a nylon brush sparingly and patches frequently, let the solvents do their job, If you talk with most barrel manufacturers they will tell you to a man that they see more barrels ruined by over aggressive cleaning and lands being damaged than by shooting.
That's part of the reason I didn't do a real break in, I was more worried about ME damaging the BBL, though I do clean the rifle too much and need to get it to where I'm only cleaning between every 100 rounds or so
Old 02-20-2012, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member

Custom Barrel Care At 17X

Read the article and the discussion that follows, you will learn a ton.
this applies to custom barrels.

In factory barrels it is such a crap shoot some will come around real quick, these are the good ones, others may take hundreds of rounds before the copper fouling falls off. I used to just shoot them and clean them every outing, then when they started cleaning easy with little copper fouling I just shot them more between cleanings.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:04 AM
Platinum Member

There's been opinions on barrel break in since rifling was invented. The vast majority of it's been done and is done by people who are average marksmen shooting average rifles. So I thought I'd ask some folks who were best qualified to know if it helps to use some method to "break in" a new barrel when I started serious competition decades ago. I asked several folks who won the big matches and set some records. Here's what they said to do.

Just shoot the darned barrel. No breaking process will make it shoot any better if its a bad barrel. If it's a good one, it'll shoot great from the first shot on.

So, I never broke in any one of several 30 caliber barrels I've worn out. They all shot very well. Even factory sporter ones in hunting rifles.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member

COMPLETE barrel break-in article on riflemansjournal. com .