Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

BArrel Break in

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2004, 03:43 PM

BArrel Break in

Just picked up a new 300 WSM for Elk this year. I'd like to know what is a good process for breaking in the barrel. I want to pamper my new toy

Thanks a bunch

Joe
Old 05-04-2004, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: BArrel Break in

Lab,
So happens I just did a bunch of "research" into that exact topic, talked to some of the best gunsmiths and barrel makers in the U.S.

Bottom line is - you are not going to get a bottom line. Very strong opiniions on this, ranging from a complete waste of time to absolutely essential.

After distilling a lot of info, I like what Gary Schnieder told me - let the barrel tell you when it is broke-in. Just fire single shots and clean thoroughly after each shot, for carbon and for copper, dry the bore and fire another. Do this until you detect a significant drop in the number of patches required to remove the carbon and also the copper. How many shots will this be. Could be as low as ten or twelve - might never happen with some factory barrels that look like a the rifling machine hic-cupped midway through the process.

I used to shoot ten singles, five doubles and then two or three five-shot groups and call it done. Have some great shooting barrels. Not sure that this is enough for some factory barrels tho.

Good luck. Maybe check the Search area, some info in archives here.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:23 PM
Silver Member

I had the same question when I rebarrelled my rifle. Go to shilen.com then go to question and answers. Ian M has the right answer, but if you want an accurate, safe generic answer and sequence, one in which you just can't go wrong, use the steps and reasoning listed on shilen.com.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:56 PM
Bronze Member

While in the early stages of testing with new barrels, I just make sure they are completely clean after shooting....after a few sessions, the good barrels stop fouling. I honestly can't explain to myself why it would make a difference if I pass a few more bullets down the tube before complete cleaning since ultimately....the itse bitse bore metal particles that must be smoothed forward get done that way anyway. I used to do the break in thing, but now I shoot small test groups of ammunition instead then clean....can see no difference.

Paul