Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Barnes XLC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2004, 02:09 PM

Barnes XLC

Anybody out there have much experience with the Barnes coated bullets? Their manual claims and shows velocity increases of up to 200fps. over their non-coated bullets of the same weight. Is this realistic? How good is their coating re. fouling etc.? Does it share some of the reported concerns that moly has (rust)? Are they generally accurate (I realize every rifle has its preference but some bullets such as the ballistic tip have a reputation for accuracy)

TS
Old 01-22-2004, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Barnes XLC

I have a little time with the XLC's. They are worth a shot. Most of the time they are hard to get accurate. The coat does help on fouling and I dont think it encourages rust. Alot of the time it helps reduce pressure. Sometimes like in a 308, you cant get enough powder in the case to really utilize the velocity increase. 48 grains of RL-15 only gets me 2900 FPS with the 150 XLC. My 100 yard accuracy is also only .6 of an inch. If I were hunting elk at 400 yards it would be a good load but for where I mostly hunt, its not practical. I stick to SMK's and AMAX's I get them super accurate and I can get the 155's faster than the 150 XLC because I dont get the pressure loss and I am already using a full case of powder. No more room to get the pressur back.

For somthing like an 06 or 300, they would do better in that department. Provided the barrel shot them accuratley
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:48 PM
Platinum Member

The Barnes X bullet (naked) is arguable the most difficult bullet in the world to get to group.
Of all the rifles that I have shot the X bullet in, only my 7mm-08 can shoot them into .75" @ 200yds. When I tried to substitute the Barnes XBT (coated) in the same weight, the bullet holes were all over the place. Returning to naked X bullets returned the group to .75", but this sure is the exception.
Those darn bullets are a pain in the ***** to get to shoot but their terminal performance is something to behold. I have shot many Pa whitetails with the 140gr X bullet launched from my 7STW. I have yet to recover a single bullet. They just keep going and going and............... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

VH
Old 01-22-2004, 05:42 PM
Gold Member

My rifle has, incredably shot all the Barnes X bullets well. Not sure why. Just loaded it basically like a SMK, only a little hotter.

I would advise to get the Barnes Triple Shock if I wanted to fool with the Barnes stuff. No flies on the XLC!! Fine bullet, with minimal fouling.

I got a 168gr. TSX, RL22 going about 3260fps fairly easily. And SMK like accuracy. Both bullets are good in my rifle.

Some have found the Barnes line to be fickle, with alot of fouling. My results have been the opposite..sakofan..Great stuff. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[ 01-22-2004: Message edited by: sakofan ]
Old 01-23-2004, 03:43 AM
Platinum Member

I did quite a bit of testing with the 100g XLC out of my 25/06. I will say they are a pain in the ass and the most finicky bullet I have ever loaded for. And I got a hold of Barnes and talked to them, I followed there barrel cleaning and seating depth procedures all to no avail. It took me at least a full box of 50 bullets, to find a halfway decent group, 1-2 inches at 100 yards. Still not even close to acceptable by my standards. I finally thought I had the load when I put 3 shots into .4" at 100 yards. I went home, loaded up the rest of the shells with that same god damn load and everything, went to the range the next day to sight in and they were all over the damn target once again. Plain worthless I tell you. I spent more than $100 trying to find a load with the Barnes XLC, I finally gave up and went back to the 115g BT. I did however shoot a fork buck and let me tell you that was the nastiest hole I ever got out of my 25/06 on a deer. I took a picture of the entrance and exit hole for proof what a little 25/06 100g bullet did to a deer, got it in my photo album. I just wish they would shoot a lot more accurately more consistently.