Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Barnes versus Berger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 07:54 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Barnes versus Berger

I shoot Bergers in my hunting rifles also (whitetails and hogs) and they are the best bullets i've seen yet to anchor an animal. Bullet placement is key with any bullets but i've hit many animals right where I wanted to and they run awhile but very few run any distance at all with the VLDs from my experiences with them not to mention the accuracy.........
Old 02-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

Very good info - it is always good to hear other's experience in the field. As far as getting your "inherited" Bergers to shoot well, check out the sticky on Bergers at the top of the Reloading forum here at LRH. Foolproof - just don't tell your buddy about it or you will stop getting free bullets . . .
Old 02-04-2013, 01:12 PM

The Key is "putting the bullet where you want to!" I still have some questions about the bergers, like hitting a big shoulder bone in an elk or a moose?? I've watched some other bullets that were exclusive hunting bullets, fail on this test. I would like to talk to someone, or have someone who has hit an animal, tell me how it performed. When I hunt the big animals, I usually use/have used Nosler Partition, Barnes X, etc., with very good results. That doesn't mean I can't put a bullet where I need to, it just means that animals don't always stand still, or can turn when you shoot.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdhunter View Post
I would like to talk to someone, or have someone who has hit an animal, tell me how it performed.
See for yourself here.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-hybrid-88657/

The first of 19 large game animals taken starts on page 12 of the thread. But there is plenty of good info prior to that.

Jeff

PS: The bull below was taken at 250 yards with a 30-378 and 210 Bergers. Directly through both front shoulders.