Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Barnes TTSX vs Berger VLD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 12:33 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Barnes TTSX vs Berger VLD

The Bergers have a history of shedding their jacket and coming apart. I have seen quite a few elk lost with them. The Barnes ttsx will not fail you.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Which ever one shoots the best would be my choice! I wouldn't be afraid of either bullet to much but of the two I've only had the Barnes fail on elk.
I agree, and if distances are way out there the Berger will do a way better job of terminal damage at lower velocities. The elk below was with 210 Bergers from a 30-378 Wby. at 250 yards.
He never took a step. both front shoulders were broken. Been taking elk with bergers for years. Never had one go over 100 yards and Ray charles could have followed the blood trail.

Accuracy and shot placement are king in my book. If the shot it placed well all is good. Gut shoot an elk with any bullet and you will be tracking for a while. But if you are off just a little the fragment from the Berger will cover your butt.

Jeff
Old 07-17-2011, 08:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Long Ranger View Post
The Bergers have a history of shedding their jacket and coming apart. I have seen quite a few elk lost with them. The Barnes ttsx will not fail you.

Spot on... I've taken and seen taken a lot of game with TSX bullets and they flat out kill extremely well and they will not come apart and lose penetration on close shot. I have taken game to as far as 777 yards and it was a bang flop
Old 07-17-2011, 09:08 AM
Gold Member

Barnes says their bullets will open on an apple and tomato.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
Barnes says their bullets will open on an apple and tomato.
I've played with the Bergers and the Barnes TTSX in my 270 WSM and the Barnes is the one that opens first and fastest, on coyotes the Berger will not hardly open and the Barnes will blow them in half.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Gut shoot an elk with any bullet and you will be tracking for a while.
Obviously that's true, but in an extreme quartering away shot the TTSX will punch through the guts and drive itself into or through the offside shoulder. The Berger won't do that.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkoholic307 View Post
The Berger won't do that.
Who says? I have seen plenty of penetration with Bergers on all game including large elk at extended diatances. So which of us is right here?
Maybe the guy that kills more elk with Bergers. Maybe the guy that kills more elk with Solids.

Truth is, there are no two shots that can ever be the same. Angle, velocity, placement, animal size.

If people would shoot more accuratly, and place the bullet decent we would never have these discussions. But it never fails, it is too easy to blame bullets for poorly placed shots. My favorite is the ones that were " Placed Perfect" but we never recovered the animal. ???? I have done my share of hunting just like everyone else. I can honestly say that every bullet I placed well was either DRT or a short track. If I didnt place it so well I had a bit more tracking. But there has been a few times were I was on the edge of poor placement and the Bergers saved my azz by still damaging vitals.

Different designs and choice. But I have seen plenty of Barnes fail too when not placed well or didnt expand for what ever reason. I can not change the haters mind, and do not wish to, and they will not change mine. I know what I can place well and that is king to me, and it is working. Just like solid shoote prefer what they like too.

Over and out.

Jeff

Last edited by Broz; 08-14-2011 at 10:26 PM.