Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Barnes TTSX vs Berger VLD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 06:27 PM
Gold Member

Barnes TTSX vs Berger VLD

Iam torn between the 180gr TTSX and the 185 berger for my elk hunt with my 300wsm. I have had nothing but good luck with the Barnes, but hear about all these bang flop dead with the berger, my concern is the barnes I can shoot on a raking shot and get where i need to, with the berger Ive read they can open up and not get where they need to on a raking shot or bad hit.........your thoughts?? Experiences???
Old 07-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Silver Member

Re: Barnes TTSX vs Berger VLD

It really depends on where you're going to hunt and how far you're going to shoot. I've been using the Bergers for the past 3 years on elk and I'm pretty happy with them. I haven't had too many bang-flops but I haven't had anything get away. The Bergers do work well but I hunt in pretty open country and the high BCs of the Bergers make 800 yard shots with a 7mm Rem or WSM more possible than with lower BC bullets. I haven't shot many Barnes bullets but at those ranges, my biggest fear would be a failure to expand. Not impossible with even the Bergers but I think more possible with harder bullets like the Barnes.

That being said, the majority of the elk I've killed have been in North Idaho in the thicker stuff. Places where 10 yard shots aren't uncommon and shots out beyond 100 yards were pretty uncommon. In that scenario, I might want a bullet that was going to give me maximum penetration. The Barnes might be the best for maximum penetration (arguably so at least).

So, if you're planning on taking 500 to 600 (or longer) shots on elk, the Bergers might be the way to go. If your shots are probably going to be 500 or closer, you might want to stick with the Barnes or some other harder (mono or bonded or partition style bullets). I'm sure that there are at least a few on here who use the Barnes for long range and like them. I believe that John Burns even used Barnes 7mm 150's for a while and I guess that he determined that they would get the job done at longer ranges.

I have yet to see a Berger fail to penetrate a shoulder when placed there but have witnessed dramatic differences between different Berger bullets. I shoot the 168's from a 7mm and my experience has been good with them. Good penetration and some bullet fragmentation but generally something on the order of golf ball sized holes going into the rib cages on the far side of the chest cavity, so the majority of the bullet has penetrated the vitals and gone into the far side. My uncle, and several of my buddies, chose to shoot the Berger 168s from 300 Winchesters and their bullets, at ranges less than 200 yards, were highly explosive.

I watched my uncle shoot a caribou, completely broadside, at about 100 or 150 yards. He hit it right behind the shoulder and the bullet fragmented so badly that there were guts blown up on the inside. My dad shot a deer with my buddies 300 Winchester at about 70 or 80 yards. It was quartered away so he hit about 6 or 7 inches behind the near shoulder, angling for the far shoulder. The bullet again exploded and upon evicerating the buck discovered that there was no damage to any meat with the exception of the entrance hole. The lungs had been turned to jello and nothing touched the far side of the critter. My guess is that the 30 cal 185's would probably perform more like my 168 7mm's but I have no evidence of that.

Anyway, now you have a few accounts of the way the Bergers can perform, hope I added some food for thought.

Cross
Old 07-15-2011, 07:37 PM
Gold Member

sounds like mini grenades
Old 07-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Silver Member

Yeah, I think that some of them can perform like mini-grenades but like I said, the 168 7mm VLDs don't blow up too badly. I pretty much expect them to go through one shoulder, come apart somewhat and then go into the other shoulder.

I have one friend who shoots the 210 VLDs and they seem to stick together pretty well too.

Cross
Old 07-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Platinum Member

Shoot the barnes at elk. Any bullet will do a bang flop with the high shoulder shot. But not any bullet will kill your elk from any shot angle you may be presented on your average elk hunt. The Barnes will.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:33 PM
Silver Member

I have never shot an elk, but I have shot a lot of Texas hogs, some of considerable size, so make your own judgments. I built a 284 win last year for use at long range with 180 VLDs. I shot one Christmas at 854 lasered yds 300 lb boar 1/4ing away. Entered 4 ribs behind shoulder, exited at front point of off shoulder with a baseball size hole. Probably 16 inches of boar, I have pics. Next day I shot 3 more all about 200- 275 lbs at 345yds,401yds and 225yds all with similar results. I think a 185 vld to 210 vld at 300wsm velocities would do well.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Which ever one shoots the best would be my choice! I wouldn't be afraid of either bullet to much but of the two I've only had the Barnes fail on elk.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"