Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Barnes TTSX, performance vs accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Barnes TTSX, performance vs accuracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomosendero View Post
Was the grape frozen?
Just kidding!! I am thinking of getting some of these for my 270, maybe the new LRX .270 they just introduced.
It wasn't frozen but it was a varmint bullet they shot the grape with.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Bronze Member

Barnes may be well suited for heavy game but in my experience they are too hard for whitetails. After shooting five deer and having poor expansion on all of them I gave up hope.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP218 View Post
Barnes may be well suited for heavy game but in my experience they are too hard for whitetails. After shooting five deer and having poor expansion on all of them I gave up hope.
It seems most everyone that uses the TTSX says they expand faster/better than the TSX. Which did you use? Also, which caliber ?
Old 09-05-2013, 10:59 PM
Bronze Member

I was using the ttsx 130 gr in .308
Old 09-06-2013, 12:55 AM

I just recently loaded up a bunch of the 130 TTSX for my sons 308. Planning on getting him a chance at a moose or caribou this fall. I haven't tried them on game yet but I have a buddy back in michigan who has shot a boatload for whitetails with this bullet in cartridges from 300 sav to 300 weatherby. All across the velosity spectrum he has had steller luck with this bullet in whitetails ranging from 100-180 pounds. Mostly crop damage permits and whitetail does. I have to doubt this bullet will work great. What were you experiences with this bullet?
Old 09-06-2013, 05:58 PM
Bronze Member

I shot 5 deer with the TTSX all in the 100-120 lb range. The shots were between 50 and 300 yards. I found all the deer so they do kill fine. The problem I had with them was the blood trails. By looking at my exit holes none of them expanded much at all. I prefer to shoot for the lungs so they may work better for those that like to aim for the shoulder area. Pretty much every one of them I ended up on my hands and nees looking for specs of blood. I probably would not have found a few of them but I believe you dont give up looking until you just have too so there I was down on all fours. Most of them run at least 100 yards. I belive they would have died faster if I had shot them in the lungs with a bow. I would think they would work much better on large game, but I will no longer use the, for whitetails.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:07 PM
Silver Member

I took a doe antelope last year at 610y with a 150gr .284 TTSX, expanded just fine. I think some guys blame the bullet for not expanding when it was more then likely poor shot placement. With that being said there also seems to be two different schools of thought on shot placement. One calls for a bullet that will expand very very easily and the other calls for a bullet that stays together more. Not meaning to derail your thread but I think that which ever type of shot you intend to take plays a big role in which bullet is going to do what you want done.

I like to break bones when I shoot an animal. They don't run near as far with both front legs knocked out from under them.
Savage LRH 6.5x284