Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Barnes TTSX 180g report

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2010, 07:52 PM

Barnes TTSX 180g report

Hey guys, i been a member for a while but have not posted. I shoot a remington 700p in .300 RUM with a factory 26" barrel. I bought some Cor-Bon factory ammo loaded in barnes 180g TTSX for a Mule Deer hunt in Nebraska last year. they shot great out of my gun and i could not get much else to work. I am not hand loading yet. I got my shot at a great deer at 300yds. i shot him right behind the shoulder and expected him to drop. he never wiggled. i put another one in him and he ran down the hill. I crept up to the top and there he was standing at about 25yds. I shot him again and he took off. I put a 4th bullet in him. i wathed him go over the hill about 50yds away. I got to him and he was dead, but when i examined all the holes, they were all .30 cal size going in and out the other side. I never hit bone other than a couple ribs, but i was very dissapointed in this bullet. I just thought i would let everyone know my experience with them. Take it with a grain of salt, this is just my experience. I love the accuracy but will be looking for something else for long range. This is such a wonderful website with great information. thanks
Old 09-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Barnes TTSX 180g report

The TTSX is a great bullet. I've used them since they came out. BUT, I ALWAYS aim for bone, and you should to if you continue using this bullet. It is a tough bullet. Barnes has some videos on youtube and you can see that they predicted that the entrance and exit holes would be similar. Don't let that disappoint you.

I have probably 1500 TSX and TTSX bullets on my bench. But they are not my bullet of choice for what I would call the beginning of a long poke, which happens to be 300 yards. I'd take a shot at game inside 400 yards with one but I'd be aiming square for the shoulder. These bullets work best when hitting bone, IMO.

I'd recommend the Berger VLD, or Nosler Btip for long range work. I've taken many deer and pronghorn with these 2 and they have never "failed" from point blank range to beyond 300 yards. The Nosler Accubond is also a very popular hunting bullet for long range.

Because they are a picky bullet, the Swift Scirocco seems to linger behind the pack, but I've taken black bears and deer with this bullet as well and it performs very well. It has a pure copper jacket and takes a bit more work to get a load in my experience but they do very very well once you find that load.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

What was the total distance that the deer ran? Also, what did the insides of the deer look like?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 09-24-2010, 10:12 AM

Here is a little more info on the hunt. I ran the bullet through the chrony at an average of 3180fps. The deer only ran less the 100yds so i know dead is dead, but i was expecting him to drop right there. The inside of the lungs were pretty messed up after 4 bullets in the chest cavity. I have used this bullet out of a .308 win on a new mexico elk hunt with wonderful results, but it was different because i hit bone on the elk at 340yds. he dropped like a ton of bricks. I am not saying its a bad bullet, only reporting what my results on that mule deer . I have always shot behind the shoulder, but i think from now on I will be taking shoulder shots to try and anchor them better. It was open country in nebraska, so tracking was easy, but in heavy brush country like parts of colorado where i live, i would like some better results. I know that you could shoot 10 animals with the same bullets and gun and get 10 different results. Thanks for listening.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member

Not uncommon for the exit holes in the hide to be small. You do not mention the internal damage, nor do you mention the internals that were hit or missed.

I have used the TSX ullet on a lot of game and have seen them used on a lot more game and they were extremely well

Antelope that I took at 777 yards DRT with the 180 grain TSX from my 300 win mag

Old 09-24-2010, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

This was posted on another web site and is pertenant to this thread

http://24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads...at/fpart/1/q/1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamison
Here's the results of a 315 yard shot on a 120# Whitetail doe from a 210 Berger out of my .300 WM. This was the exit-- she ran 125 yards into the thickest $hit you ever saw, but there wasn't any problem following the blood trail.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

So did it look like the bullets opened and you just had one that wanted to live past his expiration date. I haven't shot the TTSX much because of the TSX performance, great meat bullet but that's about all the praise I have for them.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"