close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Barnes ttsx 120grain for deer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Gold Member

Re: Barnes ttsx 120grain for deer?

The 120 TTSX bullet at 3000 fps. is good to 700 yards before the bullet quits performing properly. It will become a hole puncher only kind of like a Match King. With a 250 yard zero it still drops 97" at that range though. Your shooting ability/scope adjustments are more of an issue than bullet performance.

Unread 04-21-2016, 10:57 PM
Silver Member

Ancient thread, but I wonder what the effect of too MUCH velocity is on game. I just tried my first reloads with these 120 ttsx in my 7mm RM, and they're going out at 3480 fps with just 1gr over Barnes' starting load IMR4831. No pressure signs.

HOLY SMOKES, I'd like to slow it down but it's shooting sub .5 MOA groups. At that speed I'm concerned you'd have to hit shoulder bone at anything under 400 yards except on heavy large bodied animals like elk; but then I'd go heavier anyway.
Unread 04-22-2016, 09:04 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootin4fun View Post
Ancient thread, but I wonder what the effect of too MUCH velocity is on game. I just tried my first reloads with these 120 ttsx in my 7mm RM, and they're going out at 3480 fps with just 1gr over Barnes' starting load IMR4831. No pressure signs.

HOLY SMOKES, I'd like to slow it down but it's shooting sub .5 MOA groups. At that speed I'm concerned you'd have to hit shoulder bone at anything under 400 yards except on heavy large bodied animals like elk; but then I'd go heavier anyway.
I've been shooting Barnes Bullets for longer than I can remember and at the highest velocities I can get which doesn't seem to effect accuracy in most cases! I take shoulder shots on whitetail if at all possible and don't allow my guided hunters to take anything other than broadside shoulder shots......don't like tracking in thick South Texas Brushcountry! A fast moving TSX. TTSX, or LRX just "wrecks" a deer with a double shoulder shot....DRT....and no bullets to be found! I'm shooting them in 257 Roberts, 25-06, 264 Win Mag, 280 Rem, 7 RM, 300 Wby and soon to be in 26 Nosler! Being in on 60-100 kills per season for 30 years, I've never seen another bullet compare to them at the distances most of my hunters shoot....under 400 yds!
Unread 04-22-2016, 11:44 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx View Post
I've been shooting Barnes Bullets for longer than I can remember and at the highest velocities I can get which doesn't seem to effect accuracy in most cases! I take shoulder shots on whitetail if at all possible and don't allow my guided hunters to take anything other than broadside shoulder shots......don't like tracking in thick South Texas Brushcountry! A fast moving TSX. TTSX, or LRX just "wrecks" a deer with a double shoulder shot....DRT....and no bullets to be found! I'm shooting them in 257 Roberts, 25-06, 264 Win Mag, 280 Rem, 7 RM, 300 Wby and soon to be in 26 Nosler! Being in on 60-100 kills per season for 30 years, I've never seen another bullet compare to them at the distances most of my hunters shoot....under 400 yds!
My hunting experience with TSXs has also been good, but I'm wondering if I need to hit bone on deer or even pig to make a 120gr TTSX expand because it's going so fast; leaving the station at 3480 fps! I'm concerned this hard bullet will pencil through on a broadside or other soft tissue shot OR just cause too much meat damage due to hydrostatic shock. I've been shooting 130 TSX out of a 270 at 2940, and they do quite well at the moderate distances of 200 - 300 yards where I've killed medium game. TTSX should open up even better.
Unread 04-22-2016, 04:52 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootin4fun View Post
My hunting experience with TSXs has also been good, but I'm wondering if I need to hit bone on deer or even pig to make a 120gr TTSX expand because it's going so fast; leaving the station at 3480 fps! I'm concerned this hard bullet will pencil through on a broadside or other soft tissue shot OR just cause too much meat damage due to hydrostatic shock. I've been shooting 130 TSX out of a 270 at 2940, and they do quite well at the moderate distances of 200 - 300 yards where I've killed medium game. TTSX should open up even better.
Yes, I would hit bone.....nothing like a high shoulder shot with a Barnes bullet for DRT! I've seen too many bullets of all makes split the ribs on behind shoulder shots, then just punch a hole through the lungs and do very little immediate damage. This is the case on a lot of the deer we have to track......it makes for a long slow death! That's why myself and all of my guides insist that all hunters take a broadside shoulder shot! You break down both shoulders with any bullet and they're not going anywhere!
Unread 04-22-2016, 08:38 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx View Post
Yes, I would hit bone.....nothing like a high shoulder shot with a Barnes bullet for DRT! I've seen too many bullets of all makes split the ribs on behind shoulder shots, then just punch a hole through the lungs and do very little immediate damage. This is the case on a lot of the deer we have to track......it makes for a long slow death! That's why myself and all of my guides insist that all hunters take a broadside shoulder shot! You break down both shoulders with any bullet and they're not going anywhere!
PS: for what it's worth, I shoot 140 TTSXs and 145 LRXs in my 280s and 7RMs!
Unread 04-22-2016, 11:33 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slg888 View Post
7-08 w/120ttsx for mule/whitetail deer? What max distance do you think a killing range would be with this cartridge?

Your opinions on the ttsx 120grains for Deer?
Whatever range that you 1) can accurately hit the deer, 2) keep over 1800 fps, and 3) be above 1000 ft lbs energy. A long way with that load. However, the TTSX isn't really the sweetest deer bullet. Look at a Nosler Ballistic tip at 140 grains. Your 120 will slow way too fast and be anemic at longer ranges.

The problem with the TTSX is it will fail to open enough at lower velocities and if it doesn't hit something solid, something like using a full metal jacket. It will work, but you need to keep velocities up. If you want to reach out further on deer stick with a more frangible bullet. Actually damn near any expanding lead/copper bullet will be plenty for deer with your rifle. The Barnes bullet would be a better option for elk, where penetration is needed. ,