Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Barnes LRX TTSX, which one??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 03:41 PM
Silver Member

Re: Barnes LRX TTSX, which one??

EPIC BUST!!! Sorry couldnt wait for maxi to get home from school when I saw the link I'll post at the bottom. So you discovered JBM 3 days ago and now you are an "INTERNET BALLISTICIAN"? WOW! You learn quick huh?
You do realize that with no more posts than you have made that you could just get another screen name so that people wont know its you? That way you can just quietly bow out and quit making yourself look silly. Its ok to lose a discussion when you get pasted by someone with a couple thousand(ok Probly more) dead animals and a WHOLE LOT more time with a jbm,reloading press,exbal,strelok,nightforce,swfa,sb,edge,50 bmg,rangefinder,palm pilot,skinnin knife,dillon scale,lathe and mill and a partridge in a pear tree(1784 yds...ok it was a crow same diff).
You admit you dont own a rangefinder and have a $90 scope and discovered JBM 3 days ago and you are debating with me on terminal ballistics? Wow. My SCOPE MOUNTS cost more apeice than your SCOPE. WOW. Internet makes everyone a keyboard pro pretty quick....according to the thread you started about 2 days.LMAO.
MOHILLBILLY might be a good screen name for ya when you bow outa here because of the following EPIC BUST!

Barnes TTSX 110 .308 A-2230 max load trajectory
Old 12-18-2012, 04:15 PM
Silver Member

My ? is could you duplicate the following shot with your custom 308 krylon finished boyd stock,BSA scope,$3 rings and bases? You felt it necessary to call the person in the following link less than a rifleman and you have whacked a grand total of 2 countem 2 deer past 400.....maybe....you dont own a rangefinder so God only knows. Stay in the basics section and please......questions only. Your brand of knowledge isnt something anyone should be learning since you are efectively a preschooler to this game.
Thank you.
LINK

Scope Power?
Old 12-18-2012, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member

todd, I understand why you are upset & I cannot say that I disagree but, I do ask that you stop attacking the guy. You've won, we all knew that many posts ago, continuing now is pointless & demeaning for both of you.

Call it quits guys, before this thread gets locked.

t

Old 12-18-2012, 04:46 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
todd, I understand why you are upset & I cannot say that I disagree but, I do ask that you stop attacking the guy. You've won, we all knew that many posts ago, continuing now is pointless & demeaning for both of you.

Call it quits guys, before this thread gets locked.

t
Yes please.
There are many of us who have a lot of hunting experience but are new to the long range shooting ..
We come here to learn and share what we know.
It's important I think to remember that most shooting of game happens at less than 200 yards. . But for those opportunities that call for true long range skill and equipment it is great to get the advice of those a lot more experienced .
Old 12-18-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beng View Post
Code:
               MV     ft*lbs@500
TTSX 110       3800     1094
TTSX 180       2600     1221
VLD 175        2600     1250
1. You aren't using the same muzzle energy.
Of course not. The point of this is that people trust the .308 Win 180gr combo at 500 yds for elk. This demonstrates that the 300 WSM 110 TTSX combo has virtually the same energy at 500, making it just as suitable as the 308/180 TTSX.

Quote:
You have prejudices against Berger's hunting bullets?
I think the Berger VLDs are probably some of the best hunting bullets around especially for long range work. Anyone who can get a > .5 BC from a .243 bullet is doing some amazing work. And they just get better climbing the caliber ladder.

Quote:
Ok, then let's use the 200gr LRX Dalebow asked for.
At 2800 f/s mv it creates 3482 ft*lbs of me.
It keeps 1796 ft*lb at 500 yards drifting 0,95 mrad.
Let's not. Again, my post was not about energy optimization. I was simply debunking Todd's assertion that the 110 isn't suitable for elk to 500 yds. The comparison to the 308/180 TTSX clearly demonstrates it is.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500yd View Post
Of course not. The point of this is that people trust the .308 Win 180gr combo at 500 yds for elk. This demonstrates that the 300 WSM 110 TTSX combo has virtually the same energy at 500, making it just as suitable as the 308/180 TTSX.
Energy numbers don't tell you all you need to know, sectional density comes into play in a big way on elk. You may have enough to shoot through the lungs but if you get forward on the front shoulder that 110TTSX simply does not have the poop to over come the frontal area when it opens and get through major bone. I shoot a 110TTSX from a 270 WSM which has more of everything than the 110TTSX from a 30 cal and inside it's range it does a good job on deer, goats and coyotes I would not take it on a hunt I was deliberately targeting elk on, if it was all I had I would be real picky about my shot and without question send more than one round but I also use high SD 165gr bullets from the same rifle and they will plow a furrow through an elk, SD makes a difference!!!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 12-18-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddc View Post
And youve never missed a running shot? HMMMMMM Ever thought of goin pro? Why all the running shots anyway? I know that running is the PREFERRED way to do it but gee. Maybe stopping them or not shooting would be a good idea. Oh I forgot youve never missed and kilt 60 whole deers in yer life so that must be the way ta do it. 60 is a bunch....in an afternoon.
I've never taken a running shot freehand outside PBR, which is probably why I've never missed one. On the flip side, when I was young I missed plenty of long (for me at that time) stationary shots due to misjudging range. So don't think I'm saying I've never missed shots. Proof point...

Todd since you like attacking me so much you'll get a huge laugh out of this. Just two seasons ago I missed three successive shots at a standing doe at less than than 150 yds, prone, with the bipod. She didn't spook until after the 3rd. As she ran off over the terrace and I unglued myself from the scope, cursing and scratching me head, I saw the clump of field grass on fire 6 inches in front of the muzzle. Sh*t happens--to everyone--now and then.

When I build a nest I always tamp/pull grass in my FOF arc. This was a drop-n-shoot scenario while I was walking, and the grass didn't seem very tall as I dropped down...