Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Barnes LRX 7mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Silver Member

Re: Barnes LRX 7mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster721 View Post
I myself am basically at 2000' at home, where I shoot and hunt most.. touch under 2000 actually* But hunt as high as 7000' for select-few trips per year. Anyways, that barrel I'm replacing with WILL be an 8-twist, so no problem there...

What concerns me is how long a throat should be milled when chambering* What kinda depths are you guys seating... are yours jumping far to the lands or are you a matter of "thousandths" from the lands (tight to them) ???

And what is you-guys' accuracy like.. is .5 to .75 pretty realistic and consistent with these LRX's? ...I'm real curious what to expect in that regard, plays a big part anywhere's beyond 4/500 yards* I shoot regularily to 800.. so this accuracy part is definitely one-thing I'd like seeing & hearing others' opinions on.
In my STW I load them as far as the mag box will allow, which isn't much! As you can see in the pic, they are seated wayyyyy into the case. I can't remember how far off the lands I am, because without a Wyatt's box, this is as close as they can be seated, and still magazine fed.

Groups at 100 are about 1/2". Here's a post about stretching it out a bit. Still haven't shot past 663 with it yet. That's coming!
7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Barnes LRX 7mm-15697d1355427252-7mm-stw-brotherhood-those-who-shoot-7mm-shooting-times-westerner-dsc_0878.jpg  
Old 05-01-2013, 10:59 PM
Silver Member

Re: Barnes LRX 7mm

B.Sheep, thanks for your posts.. they're right along the lines of what I was looking for for information

I would imagine my Lazzeroni cases will wind-up being seated almost as deep as yours. Also limited because of magazine space* Is good to hear yours is working well (and shooting consistently) with such a deeply seated, long-bullet

I'm anxious to get my rifle back and give these LRX bullets a try.. 3268, or whatever it was yours are flying, that's quite fast for a heavy bullet out of an STW! I'm surprised you're getting that speed. REALLY makes me think my hopes for 3350-3400 out of mine should be very-realistic actually.. that's pretty promising

I'm very-curious to see how well the bullets group beyond 600 yards.. if anyone has shot LRX bullets of this 168gr weight in 7mm OR in another calibre, I'd be curious to hear how "they" group wayy-downrange* Do they hold consistently enough to shoot .5-.75 minute/3" to 4" groups past 600 yards??

Thanks again