Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Barnes Bullet eXpansion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 11:56 AM
Silver Member

Re: Barnes Bullet eXpansion

I have a couple of pics of Barnes TTSX bullets. I have done well with them. 1st pic is a 130gr .270 after entering a hind quarter of a deer and going diagonally to be recovered in the shoulder. Perhaps 30 inches of deer. Was running when i shot and he went perhaps 100 yards with this far less than ideal shot angle.
The 2nd one is a 150gr from my .300WSH. Above a bull elk shooting down through the front shoulder and ending up in the leg. Elk never went more then 15 yards.
The TTSX's seem to expand as advertised. They are not ideal for every situation. Lets see if I can get the pics to show up....Bruce
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2012, 12:39 PM
Platinum Member

looks good expecially the top one. but the bottom two you cant complain, they opened up like they are supposed to

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 04-22-2012, 07:23 AM
Gold Member

300wsm 180 gr TSX
I will take pics of the one Barnes I recovered after going through over 2 feet of a 500 pound black bear, thru one shoulder, all the goodies through the far shoulder and perfect mushroom under the far hide.

Didnt recover the one I shot my 6 X 6 elk with that day, straight thru the shoulders, DRT

A month later I shot my biggest KY whitetail to date, 11 point shot texas style, traversed the entire deer and found after 4 feet of penetration perfectly mushroomed.

257 Weatherby 80grain TTSX

Shot my B & C antelope, 284 yards, DRT, thru both shoulders, hit the far shoulder, exited to God knows where.

When I read about a guy using a 7mm magnum and 150 grain TSX and it didnt expand I can only say, duh!
Caliber for the animal your shooting and the right bullet. No a Barnes X wont open much side to side on most deer, but get a raking or full length body shot and they will, on deer broadside deer I shoot thru the shoulder or high shoulder, the bullet doesnt "blow" up and punches nice little hole thru deer.

You cant use a cannon on a mouse and expect it to expand
Old 04-22-2012, 11:00 AM

from my 4/20 post, again, looking for information for whitetail lung shots with barnes bullets, at all ranges. I'm a meat hunter - even if a trophy - I'm more interested in the meat than the horns. So my ideal bullet would be a bullet that works well through all ranges, when whitetail are shot through the lungs. What I mean by "works well" is that the deer travel 50 yds or less with lung shot up to 500 yd range.

Again, if the barnes will do this, I'll try some.

Any experience shared is appreciated.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Gold Member

My experience is with elk but does fit your request in that both elk were shot in the lungs with NO bone hit except ribs. I think the bottom line is shot placement. One was a double lung went 30 yards and died. The other was 400 yards through both lungs and it went 10 ft. So the Barnes works. Just shoot well
Old 04-22-2012, 11:29 AM
Gold Member

I shot 27 deer over time with a 300 wsm and 150 grain BT, none took a step, if you want to wack deer and deer alont that is the ticket.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Silver Member

I have used the TSX and the TTSX on just about everything. I have heard they pencil through so I thought shooting a jackal at 25 yes with 180 TSX at 3000 fps in the ribs I could lifesize mount him, no way blew him in half and I actually got blood on me , so much for that.I have been able to cull whitetail and with a 25-06 and 257 bee are the only round I have never had a deer take a step. I have used 270, 30-06 ,300 win but some ran 20 yards. I shot a nice leopard last year with a 300 TSX from a 375 RUM at 40 yards dead right there . I have been trying to get one to fail or pencil or anything else so I could try some north forks but it has never happened.I tried some 140 north forks in a 6.5 weatherby and every thing was bang flop out to 673 yards also 120 TTSX same thing on several deer out to 500 . I lost two deer with the 6.5 weatherby with 140 Berger VLD's trying for long shots over 500. I had read good things about them but in my experience and that is just mine I will stick with TSX as the best killer with north forks equal after that a step down. I have not had the most experience but 31 African safaris and well over 500 north american animal ranging from javalina to grizzly these things I read about have never happened to me. Maybe I am just lucky but I don't thin so.I would not hesitate to use nosler partition or accubonds or ballistic tips and would shoot anything with swift a frame but other than those I am worried. I DP shoot most animals through the shoulders so I can not say much on lung shots which may be different.