Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Balllistics Program Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2003, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Balllistics Program Question

S1,The offer for you to come to Williamsport was in good faith.If you are as good as you say.You should do well.Hope to see you there.........
Old 01-09-2003, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

S1

I said 1000 yds and also 1250 and 1500 yds.

I will say again though, reading the wind past 1000 yds takes many years to accomplish and you know that. It's something that is not taught in a few days, weeks or months at most locations. If Tax payer money is involved, the skies the limit and top instructors are available as teaching aids.

Williamsport is one of those locations that people have many problems with and have for 35 yrs now.

Please, if you can read the wind like you say, come and show us how it's done. I am serious when asking you. I would like to know myself.

You mentioned our Grandsons discussing 3000 yd shots with a 1 shot system.
I have a friend who did get his elk 5 yrs ago at 2890 Yds, but he and his group used the spotter system.
That's closing the gap on the 3000 yd mark I would say. The caliber was the same as mine---the 338/416 Rigby IMP using the 300 gr MK.

I honestly would like to see someone shot from a bipod and make a 3000 yd kill the FIRST shot every time. That person would no doubt be able to walk on water or part the Red Sea.

First rule instilled in My Grandson was, DO NOT try 1 shot kills over 1000 yards period.
Use the spotter system like my son was taught, also.
I wouldn't let him shoot at woodchucks until they were at least 600 yds out. He found out early on that within the first 600 yds the shooting was to easy with the equipment we had set up. 600 plus was a bit tougher for him.

Anyway, I think I'll keep my Grandsons and continue to teach them the spotter method as long as I can spot for them. If they mention ANYTHING about one shot kills over 1000 yds, I'll ship them to you.

Later
DC [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2003, 10:02 PM

DC

I would be overjoyed to have them so send them my way. Its a silly argument though. Our grandkids are gonna be laughin at us, saying stuff like,

"You guys did what? You mean you designed weapons that shot stuff that was affected by the wind, and gravity? Tell me your kidding Grandpa...... You really didn't have particle beams back then, not even when you were in the Army?"
Old 01-09-2003, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

S1

I think that's coming sooner then we think with all the new advances in technology.

I guess we will have to do with what we have for the present time?

Have a good one.
DC
Old 01-09-2003, 10:23 PM

QUOTE FROM GREATGRANKIDS

"Grandpa, you mean you actually carried your weapon like great grandpa did? Your rangefinder was not integrated into your personal drone? I heard greatgrandpa actually hunted birds with dogs, and dogs can't even see on a thermal spectrum! I'll bet he got tired luggin all that stuff around, sure glad we got these minnie flying drones, by the way, Grandpa, how did you guys find a wounded Grizzly bear in thick brush without a drone and thermal imager ......? Scary !!!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] You guys were crazy to be doin that!!!"

[ 01-09-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]

[ 01-09-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]
Old 01-10-2003, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Blaine,

What caliber and bullet are is in question?? Oh and what is you barrel length?
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-10-2003, 04:46 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

The reason I ask is that there are several things that can do what you are discribing. 2 of them are:

1. B.C.s are not always what books say they are. Sometimes barrel length and burn rates improve your B.C. Try adding .050-.055 to your B.C.

2. Some MINOR imperfections in a 100 yard zero can throw you off. Try calculating a 1000 yard shot from a 300 yard zero. Unless you are dealing with over 100 degrees in temprature and 10,000 feet in altidude, your 300 yard zero will always be close enough for a starting point for a long range calculation.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.