Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Ballistics Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2012, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member

Ballistics Question

Ok would it work better to adjust your BC until it matches up with your actual drop? or would it work better to adjust mv until it matches up with the drop

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 05-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Ballistics Question

If my BC data is from a reliable source, ie. Bryan Litz, I will initially adjust my velocity input in my calculator to see if I can match my actual drops. I have had good success using this approach. If I can't get my drop data to line up with my selected distances changing my velocity input, I will adjust BC, using my chonographed velocity input until it lines up.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 05-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

so in your experience are Barnes's listed BC's close to their actual BC

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 05-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

I don't know. I have never used them. Bryan Litz has run BC's on the Barnes bullets and has them listed in his book. I use Bergers, Sierra, Nosler,and Hornady. Bergers and Sierras listed BC's are close. I use Bergers mostly for hunting and Sierras for target and competition.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 05-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Platinum Member

I say it's best to figure out which input you're supplying that's wrong.
You should know your MVs. You should know your scope height, and atmospheric conditions, and ranges. You should've tested the scope to find out the actual adjustment values.
Rule out coriolis, and spin drift..

With this, and considering the gun's accuracy capability, you would tweak the BC (possibly switching to G7 BC entries).
Old 05-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
You should've tested the scope to find out the actual adjustment values.
How do you do that

I'm 15
~George Washington

~ JE CUSTOM

~Doublezranch

Old 05-20-2012, 07:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
How do you do that (measure sight adjustment values)
Clamp your scope solidly with it at maximum power aimed and focused at a ruler exactly 50 yards away from the front of the scope and at exact right angles to the line of sight. Make sure the ruler's aligned straight with a reticule wire. Align the reticule on an even inch line. Count the clicks as the reticule moves to another inch line 2 inches away.

If it takes 17 clicks to move the reticule exactly 2 inches at 50 yards, each click's worth .2353 MOA. Check both elevation and windage to verify they're both the same. If 17 clicks don't put the reticule exactly on the ruler 2 inches away, keep moving the adjustment in the same direction until it aligns exactly on an inch line; counting clicks all the way. Then divide the inches moved by the clicks to get there. 1 MOA in the shooting sports is exactly 1/2 inch at 50 yards.

You'll get a bit more accurate results if the ruler's at 100 yards.