Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Ballistics question? 20 MOA base vs. 0 MOA base

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 08:20 AM
Gold Member

Ballistics question? 20 MOA base vs. 0 MOA base

I was wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question: will there be an actual physical difference in a drop chart for a 20 MOA base vs. a 0 MOA base?

I realize velocity, etc. would stay the same, but will the bullet from one of the bases impact higher than the other at a set range other than the zero? If both bases were zeroed @ the same range? Or does the 20 MOA only allow the scope zero to be set with less clicks for an extended range?

I'm just trying to see if buying a 20 MOA rail would be worth it for me, ballistically that is.

I think I over-thought this, and now I'm confusing myself lol... Will I be able to use my ballistics program accurately with a 20 MOA base?

Thanks.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:02 AM
Gold Member

Re: Ballistics question? 20 MOA base vs. 0 MOA base

Quote:
will there be an actual physical difference in a drop chart for a 20 MOA base vs. a 0 MOA base?
No.
Quote:
Or does the 20 MOA only allow the scope zero to be set with less clicks for an extended range?
Yep, that one.
Quote:
Will I be able to use my ballistics program accurately with a 20 MOA base?
Yes.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Silver Member

All the 20 MOA base will do is allow you to shoot further because you will have 20 MOA more of usable elevation in your scope, other than that, everything else is the same.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:46 AM
Gold Member

Thanks so much. That's what I originally thought, but I thought about it so much I guess I over analyzed and ended up thinking the opposite lol.

Thanks again.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:35 AM
Silver Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong--here's how I think about it...

Normally, your scope would be zeroed in (if bases and rings are machined and fitted true and level) close to the center of the range of your scope adjustment...so you can dial "up" for only about half the whole range of your scope, if needed, to compensate for your drops.

What the 20 MOA base does is tilt your scope. Now you have to re-adjust your scope "down" so you are lined up with your zero point. You "new" starting point for zero is now in the lower half of your scope adjustment "down" ~20 MOA, so you now have that 20MOA and the rest of the other half of the range of your scope adjustment to "dial up" for your drops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunthard View Post
Thanks so much. That's what I originally thought, but I thought about it so much I guess I over analyzed and ended up thinking the opposite lol.

Thanks again.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:15 AM
Platinum Member

Perfect explanation Matt!
Old 08-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zupatun View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong--here's how I think about it...

Normally, your scope would be zeroed in (if bases and rings are machined and fitted true and level) close to the center of the range of your scope adjustment...so you can dial "up" for only about half the whole range of your scope, if needed, to compensate for your drops.

What the 20 MOA base does is tilt your scope. Now you have to re-adjust your scope "down" so you are lined up with your zero point. You "new" starting point for zero is now in the lower half of your scope adjustment "down" ~20 MOA, so you now have that 20MOA and the rest of the other half of the range of your scope adjustment to "dial up" for your drops.
Yeah that's right, except now my scope doesn't go low enough to zero. Is that why people use a 30mm tube scope and not a 1" tube a lot ? I'm shooting 8.5" high (.308) at 100 Yards and can't lower it with the scope. Somethings gotta give...