close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Ballistics Programs (Web based & Downloadable)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-19-2007, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ked Horn View Post
2.5 miles.

Go to the first link in this thread and open it (eskimo something). Scroll down to the Maximum Range Calculator and open it. Enter your known data and calculate. I did your calculation using 1400 feet per second velocity, a Ballistic Coefficient of .15 and a bullet weight of 40 grains and a G1 drag function to come up with 2.5 miles (one mile is 1760 yards so you devide the answer you are given in yards by 1760 for the answer in miles)
I use the link and found out the terminal velocity to be around 250 ft/sec. i'm somewhat safety concious and would like to know what a 40 grain lead bullet traveling at this speed can do.-thanks
    Unread 11-25-2007, 06:05 PM
    Silver Member

help with ballistic programs

I'm using the first program on the list. The web based, "eskimo". How would you enter a 20 moa canted scopebase. I understand what 20 moa is, but when I enter it where I think it should go, things don't change on the resulting chart. Thanks. wk
    "It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, who's face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Unread 11-25-2007, 09:40 PM
    Silver Member

Your scope base isn't going to effect your drops, it will only allow you to make more elevation adjustments with your scope. If you're zeroed at 200 and your drop is 48" at 400, you're drop is still going to be 48" no matter what scope base you have on.
    Unread 11-26-2007, 02:31 PM
    Silver Member

But won't this affect the maximum point blank range? I'm visualizing the scope being level, and the rifle barrel pointed effectively 20 moa upwards so the bullet path would have a start as a more upward path. I can work out the math on projectile motiion from the physics, but I didn't have enough in school to figure in the air resistance, which is huge on a little bullet. Just to clarify, I'm not trying to be argumentative; I just am trying to understand. I appreciate your help in clarification. wk
    "It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, who's face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt
    Unread 11-27-2007, 09:56 PM
    Silver Member

Nope, I understand what you're getting hung up on, but you have to realize that just because there is cant on your scope don't mean squat. You're reticle is centered high in the tube at close range, so in effect you're looking through your scope at an angle. You're point blank range isn't going to be effected by your bases, given a constant zero. If you're zeroed at 200 you're zeroed at 200.
    Unread 11-27-2007, 11:39 PM
    Silver Member

Thanks devildoc. I'm slowly wraping my head around it.
    Theodore Roosevelt
    Unread 12-24-2007, 11:05 PM
    Bronze Member

Could you please make a list of the downloadable ballistics programs for PDAs? I am buying one just for the field and would like to know what programs both free and purchased are available. I see the exbal and nighforce systems but they seem so pricey. I do most of my ballistics work at home on Shoot 2.3 but would like a PDA in the field to do some detail work that could convert to clicks.

any help would be appreciated. Also if you knew the hardware requirements that would he helpful since I am looking at some older PDAs that wouldn't kill my budget if ruined.

thanks again

Lucas