Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

ballistics program suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2004, 12:13 AM

Re: ballistics program suggestions

EXBAL
Old 07-02-2004, 06:32 AM
Silver Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>JBM,

Would you concider adding a link?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Adding a link to what?
Old 07-02-2004, 07:29 AM
Platinum Member

Meichele

I believe JBM's link is in his signature line.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Adding a link to your web page that is. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:56 PM
Platinum Member

I like the RSI Shooting Lab program best for a desktop computer, Exbal for a PDA type.

Quickload's a nice program if you are interested in internal ballistics. I think it probably does the best job at over any other out there on the market... RSI get's top vote for exterior ballistics software though.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:47 AM
Silver Member

I'll second Brents suggestion... for a desk top or laptop, the RSI shooting lab program is the best.

If you only have access to the web, go with Brad's JBM online program.

For my PDA I use Pejsa's and it works ok.

I've been able to chronograph my .308 out to 500 yards now a very percise 100 yards increments using two CED Millennium chronographs. Once I had my zero, 100, 200 & 300 yards velocities, the RSI shooting lab predicted my velocities dead on at 400 & 500 yards (+/- 3' per second) to my actual recorded results.

I'm hoping to get time to shoot out to 600 & 700 yards this summer through my chronographs to see what results I get.

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 07-05-2004, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member

Jeff,

Jim didn't indicate it on the site, but he added to the "DROP" from bore line column an "MOA" output option in the latest release version after I bugged him for it so I can figure incline/decline firing solutions more quickly using the Sierra method.

I use it to find the average difference in "MOA" between DROP and PATH from about 300-1000 yards. Keeping this number in your head, one can add this to the exact MOA correction in the field if need be and not have to fiddle with calculating what the bore line drop is at what ever range in order to find an accurate number to work in the incline/decline correction formula.

All this does for the guy looking for the most accurate method to determine a correction on angled fire shots is eliminate the need to carry an addition drop chart with them that is actual drop from the "extended bore line".

Jim made some corrections to the "CANT" calculations too, as Dave and I were breaking code while running numbers on 90 degree cant situations with a near zero. I still haven't looked to see if he was able to completely correct the errors that resulted using a near zero instead of a far zero in combination with such an extreme cant condition.