Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

#####Ballistics HELP (PLEASE)######

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: #####Ballistics HELP (PLEASE)######

Thanks Jeff.
Do you zero your rifles at 100 yards ? Or are you saying I need to in order to get more accurate dial ups ? Would it be okay to adjust my MV and leave my program the same, say instead of a 2900 MV setting I could try 2915 and see how my impacts looked ?

kcebcj I havent varified drops with this powder past 556 yet. I would think the error would just graduate . IMHO
Old 11-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Gold Member

It took me a long time to learn to get a calculator to match my drops but I've finally done it. First piece of advice is only test on great condition days. If conditions are questionable then your results will be too. It is absolutely crucial that you are 100% confident in your zero wether it be 100, 200 or whatever. If you are testing drops always start with verifying your zero. Beyond 400 yards angle becomes an issue. In my experience I don't see a lot of shots beyond 400 that are more than 25*. When I have seen angles like that it is a very steep canyon or mountain side. Most people over exaggerate angles. If you are indeed testing at extreme or even moderate angles you need to find some way to try and figure in the angle. A guess might be better than no consideration but I advise you find a way to measure the angle. Like Jeff said shoot at various yardages (400,600,800,1000) for example. Does not have to be exact as long as distances are known to be accurate. An error in range can make you scratch your head. Shoot good groups! Adjust velocity until your calculator matches your real world drops within .25moa. It may take several trips before you settle on the perfect velocity but by keeping track of conditions, verifying zero every time, and knowing the angle you should be able to establish a solid baseline. Then stop shooting groups and go hunt some rocks!!! I just re-watched one of Shawn's videos again the other day and that's what stuck with me the most. Once your done testing stop shooting groups. You'll drive yourself mad! I'd like to thank Shawn and Jeff as well as Michael Eichael. These 3 guys have finally got this stubborn SOB on target. It's a good feeling when you can trust your calculator! Good luck my friend and keep us posted on your progress.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:28 PM
Gold Member

Just FYI I had to cut my MV 80fps from what my chrony is reading to match my real world drops. Don't be afraid to adjust the velocity.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortpants View Post
Just FYI I had to cut my MV 80fps from what my chrony is reading to match my real world drops. Don't be afraid to adjust the velocity.
Thanks for the reply/advice.

I know now why Jeff is saying he buys 40 pounds of powder . Next time I am going to buy several pounds of the same lot.

One question if my MV is set at 2900 FPS and I hit high (while shooting on flat ground ) which direction should I adjust add 10 or 15 seconds or take away ? since I am shooting high . Thanks
Old 11-18-2012, 08:44 PM
Gold Member

Remember before you make any changes you must verify your zero!!! Then on level ground if your high that means your bullet is going faster so you should add whatever amount it takes to get your come up on your program to raise up 8".
Old 11-18-2012, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortpants View Post
Remember before you make any changes you must verify your zero!!! Then on level ground if your high that means your bullet is going faster so you should add whatever amount it takes to get your come up on your program to raise up 8".
I have verified zero it is dead on at 200 yards I shoot at the little stickers that come with the 6'' sticker . They are the size of a penny and I can put one shot in the small sticker 2 out of three. elevation good and windage good at 200 yards.

If my bullet is going faster wouldnt that mean that I should add whatever amount and it would in return call for less dope therfore lowering my impacts or am I thinking about it wrong ? Thanks
Old 11-18-2012, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
Thanks Jeff.
Do you zero your rifles at 100 yards ? Or are you saying I need to in order to get more accurate dial ups ? Would it be okay to adjust my MV and leave my program the same, say instead of a 2900 MV setting I could try 2915 and see how my impacts looked ?

. IMHO
I have been all the way out to 300 with zero's. I am now back to 100 for these reasons. Ease to find a place to check zero. Wind and mirage screw with it less. And smaller groups to center up.

If you want to leave it at 200 that's fine. But before you do any adjusting check the zero. If your zero is off 1 moa all your dial ups will be too.

Quote" One question if my MV is set at 2900 FPS and I hit high (while shooting on flat ground ) which direction should I adjust add 10 or 15 seconds or take away ? since I am shooting high "Unquote

If you are hitting high it is because your program has a velocity that is too low. As you raise the velocity in the program it will tell you to dial less moa.

Jeff