Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Ballistics beyond 2000 yds : do we need/trust them?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Ballistics beyond 2000 yds : do we need/trust them?

If this is a continuation of our last argument, drop it. I will not be engaging in any more ******* matches with you.

The point I am trying to make is simple. Change variables and velocity changes. Change the velocity and it will change the BC. Obviously our equipment and reloading supplies is vastly differant, so the variable will never be the same. Powder and primers included. You are taking what I am saying out of context. If you are trying to engage in a ******* contest, please do it else where. You are the only one here on this forum I have ever had this type of problem with and am asking nicely for you to give it a rest.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member

CatShooter,
Receive my apologies, I messed up!
On one of your comments you're strictly referring to only changing powder and primer.
On the following comment, the way it was worded I though you were talking about two different rifles instead of one; I should have known better and did mess up.

[ QUOTE ]
I say, if I shoot a 308 190gr SMK at 3000 fps with purple powder and purple primers, and my friend shoots a 308 190gr SMK at 3000 with red powder and red primers - THE SAME BULLET LEAVES THE MUZZLE AT THE SPEED - they will NOT have different BC's

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, my bad!

Now, just for the sake of learning, if it's alright, I have a question for you or anyone else:

Facts: The only two things we're changing is primer and powder as stated by you. Using the same rifle, of course. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Question: Is it possible that the purple primer with the purple powder combination gives 3000 f/sec mv at very low chamber pressures, and the red primer with the red powder combination would give 3000 f/sec mv at very high chamber pressures and because of the extremes dynamics inside the chamber the bullet gets to be treated differently once it's in motion to the point that its flying ability changes enough to change the BC??? Is it possible? Even though the mv is still the same, there would be a different beast growling inside the chamber. Could that change our BC? Is it possible?

Gustavo, I apologize for deviating a bit. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 01-29-2007, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member

I might as well state the obvious here. Catshooter, your attitude sucks. Your tone of voice sucks. Meichele is a respected member here and is right on top of things. To speak to him like you do is un-called for. People like to be treated with respect and he deserves it. You say you're a 50 year reloader which means you must be in your 60's or 70's so maybe it's time to start acting your age. If my grandpa acted like you, I'd be embarrassed.

My apologies for speaking my mind and hijacking a thread for a moment. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member

Eaglet,
You are correct. Good point.

Also, your bc will change throughout the barrel's life whether it be custom of factory. This is a major fault for range dials and reticles that have been calibrated for a certain bc.
Pull it
Dump it

Old 01-29-2007, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member

Gustavo,

Some of us here do shoot out to and beyond 2000 yards and I would like to put as much trust in my computer program as possible. I would strive to make a program as accurate as it can possibly be if I was to do it. And yes, make it go at least that far. Heck, while you're at it, make it report out to 4000 yards just for kicks!
Pull it
Dump it

Old 01-29-2007, 08:45 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Gustavo,

Some of us here do shoot out to and beyond 2000 yards and I would like to put as much trust in my computer program as possible. I would strive to make a program as accurate as it can possibly be if I was to do it. And yes, make it go at least that far. Heck, while you're at it, make it report out to 4000 yards just for kicks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, my purpose here is to understand how well predicted values where correlated to field results beyond 2000 yards, where most programs tend to give differences so huge that is really hard to understand how can a shooter believe their values...if they do so... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

And my intention is to produce a "verifiable" program, with values to be trusted upon, that's the reason I took the effort (well, the Marines [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) to collect and verify values up to 1200 yards.

As I said before, maybe some member has collected data checked versus his favorite program and can shed some light on this matter...after all this is a LRH forum!

LoadBaseŠ Desktop & Mobile editions - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com
Old 01-29-2007, 09:27 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
I might as well state the obvious here. Catshooter, your attitude sucks. Your tone of voice sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am in my 60's and michael says things that don't make sense.

I'm an engineer and have been a research director at Columbia University, and I know BS when I hear it.

If someone make a remark that is nonsense then I call it as I see it. Michael says things that are nonsense and not consistent with known science.

You you want to follow it, that's fine, but I don't drink the Kool-aid.

What I find uniquely interesting is that michael still can't answer a simple question about a statement he made.

That shouldn't be that hard.

LRH member #23