Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Ballistic 'Whiz Wheel' solver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 08:09 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Ballistic 'Whiz Wheel' solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl135 View Post
Errors in scope adjustment have to be corrected for outside this device; it outputs true MOA or MILS only.
To me the big selling point of something like this is the ability to get the same information normally provided by some type of mobile ballistic software but without the delicate electronics, battery life, etc. If it is not available with scope correction factors accounted for in the drop predictions, one is left to pack a calculator (I am not doing the math by hand in the field!) and the user is back to carrying an electronic device. Without being at all familiar with the software used in constructing these, it seems like it should be simple enough to add this at the customer's request. Maybe I am in the minority here, but I would find this much more useful with this built in.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:58 AM
SPONSOR

Eric,

I totally agree with you.

Instead of using a calculator to apply your scope correction factor to the solution, consider this:

http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/images/MATLAB.pdf

It's a simple graph you can print out, laminate, and keep with the whiz wheel. The way it works is, you do your 'tall target test' to determine the actual reticle movement for a certain adjustment range, and you place a point on the graph. Then draw a line from the origin (lower left corner) to and thru your point using a straight-edge. In order to know how much 'actual reticle movement' you're getting for a given adjustment of your scope, just refer to the line that you drew.

This card would be handy to have for your scope, even for use with other programs that don't allow a scope correction factor (not just the whiz wheel).

It may someday be an option for a customer to specify his scope correction factor when having a custom wheel printed, but that is currently not possible.

-Bryan

Author of: Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting
And: Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting

Old 02-23-2012, 08:42 PM

I've been using one of these for a little bit now and they work very well. I've also learned and have done the trueing for my rifle and load and I can tell you this device works very very well.

Like Brayn mentioned there is a learning curve and I was fortunate enough to learn it from Robert at Accuracy 1st. Once that is understood and you can implement that new information it can easily replace your PDA/iphone software.

Get it, learn it and you'll be happy with your fist round hits.

R.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Bryan,
Great idea. I would be very interested in the "Wheel" as a back up to my "Shooter" program. But I have a question on customizing the wheel to the desired G7 B.C.

In particular I will be using the .338 Calibre Berger 300gn OTM Hybrid projectile. Now I have noticed in your book that the G7 B.C. below 2000 fps goes slightly up in value where as your derived G1 B.C. at 2000 fps takes a sudden dive downwards in value.

I find this very strange!

Now my testing has my data in perfect agreement with your G7 data to 2000 fps which is great, but from then on it is a closer match to your G1 B.C. data.
So my question is can the wheel be custom made to variations in data?
Old 02-24-2012, 11:00 AM
SPONSOR

Topshot,

It is possible to make a whiz wheel with a velocity banded BC (G1 or G7), if you provide your banded data.

-Bryan

Author of: Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting
And: Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting