Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Ballistic tips and A-Max for a 7STW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Silver Member

Ballistic tips and A-Max for a 7STW

Any opinions or experience running 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip's out of a 7mm STW? I've had really good luck running ballistic tips out of my .300wsm but I've been told they arn't that great in the STW due to the velocity.

Also wondering if anyone has used the 162 grain A-Max in a 7STW. I know the A-max bullet is really accurate but I hear conflicting reports on how it works for a hunting bullet.

I mainly use the rifle for whitetail in western Oklahoma where shots range from pretty close to pretty much as far as you want to shoot.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:01 PM
Silver Member

Re: Ballistic tips and A-Max for a 7STW

I shoot the 162 amax in my stw @ 3300 fps shot three deer with them this year.

150 yds head shot NASTY
570 yds high shoulder DRT passthrough
817 yds little bit back of shoulder. Deer smacked the ground then got up an ran about 60 yds and died. Passthrough an lots of blood with good internal damage and nice exit
Old 02-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

I've killed quite a few whitetails with the 162 A-Max at 3,150 ft/sec from my STW. Shots behind the shoulder left silver dollar size exit holes and deer that go 20ys-40yds max. High should shots do not exit and deer than go 18inches, directly DOWN!
I have never had a single bad experience using the 162 A-Max on whitetails or pronghorn. Coyote don't seem to like them much either.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvil11-87 View Post
Any opinions or experience running 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip's out of a 7mm STW? I've had really good luck running ballistic tips out of my .300wsm but I've been told they arn't that great in the STW due to the velocity.

Also wondering if anyone has used the 162 grain A-Max in a 7STW. I know the A-max bullet is really accurate but I hear conflicting reports on how it works for a hunting bullet.

I mainly use the rifle for whitetail in western Oklahoma where shots range from pretty close to pretty much as far as you want to shoot.

Years ago I built an STW with a 31" barrel to squeeze every bit of velocity out of it. My results were
as follows=

140 ballistic tips - 3700 ft/sec MV beyond 300 yards they worked great and expanded well out
beyond 800 yards. under 300 yards they were explosive. The Accubonds were not out/available
at the time so I used the 140 grain Partition for under 400 yards for good bullet performance.

Since the Accubonds came along I find they do well at all distances at the higher Muzzle velocities
as well as the slower MVs.

If I use a rifle that the top MV is around 3000 to 3100 ft/sec I still like the performance of the Ballistic tip.

J E CUSTOM
Old 02-15-2012, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvil11-87 View Post

The two bullets you mention, are two of my favorite. I used to use the BT exclusively, until recently I have switched to the VLD's. My STW's shoot the 162 amax well, but I have not taken game with them. My son nailed a doe at 305 yds. Last summer. At the shoot, she hit the deck as if hit by lightning. Momentarily she got up, and disappeared in to the woods.We found no blood, and no deer. We ALL witnessed the hit. It may have been a little high over the shoulder. We were all speechless. I want to retry them I'm MY 7 STW this summer on a crop damage hunt to see if they work or not. I know theyshhot well, but if they don't open? Time will tell. Take care. 7STW.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Silver Member

[QUOTE=7stw;614994]The two bullets you mention, are two of my favorite. I used to use the BT exclusively, until recently I have switched to the VLD's. My STW's shoot the 162 amax well, but I have not taken game with them. My son nailed a doe at 305 yds. Last summer. At the shoot, she hit the deck as if hit by lightning. Momentarily she got up, and disappeared in to the woods.We found no blood, and no deer. We ALL witnessed the hit. It may have been a little high over the shoulder. We were all speechless. I want to retry them I'm MY 7 STW this summer on a crop damage hunt to see if they work or not. I know theyshhot well, but if they don't open? Time will tell. T

Was your son shooting the A Max or Vld?
Old 02-16-2012, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Anvil11-87;614997]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
The two bullets you mention, are two of my favorite. I used to use the BT exclusively, until recently I have switched to the VLD's. My STW's shoot the 162 amax well, but I have not taken game with them. My son nailed a doe at 305 yds. Last summer. At the shoot, she hit the deck as if hit by lightning. Momentarily she got up, and disappeared in to the woods.We found no blood, and no deer. We ALL witnessed the hit. It may have been a little high over the shoulder. We were all speechless. I want to retry them I'm MY 7 STW this summer on a crop damage hunt to see if they work or not. I know theyshhot well, but if they don't open? Time will tell. T

Was your son shooting the A Max or Vld?
162 a max, 7 mag, @ 2979 fps. I think he hit her high, but she fell like she had been struck by lightening. 7 STW.