Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Ballistic tip fails

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2005, 11:04 PM
Gold Member

Re: Ballistic tip fails

my point was that this is not a bullet failure, but this was an application failure. this is the correct application with this combo (300RUM 150gr bt)
Old 12-22-2005, 11:15 PM
Gold Member

I am sorry if I offended any one with the graphic detail.

Not
UB
Old 12-23-2005, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

LOL!
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:23 AM
Gold Member

i had loaded the 150 to play with at the range but i thought they would work ok on a deer. i use 200 gr speers most of the time but had ran out. i see what you all are talking about to much speed. the 150 or older to i did not know they had been reworked time for some new bullets. i would like to try so barns 200/220 has any one had good luck with them? heres the pic if i did this right thanks for the help. http://www.hunt101.com/img/357310.jpg
Old 12-23-2005, 07:17 AM
Platinum Member

I only shoot the buck rabbits

Old 12-23-2005, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member

Jeff, that is a beautiful buck. Congratulations. In terms of using the Barnes, that can get tricky. I use the TSX quite a bit and to date it has performed flawlessly for me and my brother. However, Barnes has a new bullet, the MRX, which has a tungsten core and plastic tip. Essentially it is a pseudo-combo of a Failsafe/TSX/Ballistic tip. If you have not seen it, take a look.

It will be an expensive bullet and I myself am curious about it's accuracy potential. I personally think it is a good design in the event bone is hit.

buffalobob, you are too funny. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2005, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member

Bob , Unc B ,

What, hunting season over ? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Ya'll have way tooo much time on your hands. Can't you at least go shoot some vermin [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Ok , Bob you are to go and cut some new shooting lanes for your 5,6,7,800 yd shot at your favorite high hides . Unc B. , you are needing to go put out some markers at the 2500 yd . range so it will be a piece of cake to [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] whack the next hog at that distance .

Me ? well, I just got back from scoping out the mountainside that the whitetails have been moving across going from bed to feed . My 700 yd shot is still possible this year cuz the 3 days after Christmas is modern gun here in Arkansas [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Merry , happy , joyful celebration of the birth of the Saviour ,

Jim Brown