Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Ballistic tip fails

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2005, 04:22 AM
Gold Member

Ballistic tip fails

I shoot a buck at 359 yards out of my 300rum with a 150bt in the shouder and the the buck ran 550 yards and was alive 2 hours later when i found him. then he jumps up and runs 200 more yards before he gives up. when i finally find him 7 hours later it looks like the bullet blew up on the skin and the shoulder and never made it to the other shoulder with no exit. what the hell happened? i have never had this happen before. but this was the first BT i have used and the last. but on a brighter note the buck scored 156 6/8. i have a pic of the buck but i have no clue how i get it on here [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2005, 04:35 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Ballistic tip fails

I've found that Ballistic Tips like a slower entry speed. Run those puppies into something too fast and they seem to become varmint bullets. I'd stay under 3,000fps for impact speed on a BT.

As a not, I did kill an elk with a 180 Nosler BT and it appeared to perform perfectly. (300 Win Mag, fair distance, impact in the mid to low 2,000fps range.)
Old 12-22-2005, 07:56 AM
Gold Member

Jeff,
I agree with Dave on this one,at the velocities you are driving 150gr B.T.'s at you have transformed your big game rifle into a varmint rig. I dont think even 180B.T.'s are the answer for a 300RUM. try the 180gr Accubond or better yet the 200gr Accubond and experience "bang flop" from your big game rifle or if you want to leave it as a varmint rig try the 125grB.T. it blows the heck out of prairie dog's at 4000fps.
UB
Old 12-22-2005, 09:56 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

The problem is not the ballistic tip per say but the weight of the ballistic tip you used and the round you used it in.

With nearly 100 gr capacity you need some bullet weight. Bump up to a 180 gr Ballistic Tip or better yet a 180 or 200 gr accubond and you will get much better performance.

I suspect you impacted the shoulder on that shot? Light bullets in the big rounds is a plan to get results just like you got. Its not the bullets fault.

Had that bullet been in a 308 win or 30-06 or even 300 Win Mag I suspect you would have dropped that deer in under 100 yards.

The 150 gr ballistic Tip is not a shoulder busting bullet anyway, in any caliber for that matter.

Try more lead and you will not be disappointed [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]! These big rounds will also generally become much more consistant with more bullet weight as well so its a win win situation.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-22-2005, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member

I personally can't believe that a 150 grain balistic tip didn't drop him in his tracks. I shot my elk this year at 75yrds with an ultra mag pushing a 180gr. ballistic tip and it broke both shoulders and exited. I've also seen 55gr balistic tips drop deer in there tracks with no movement along with the 70gr ballistic tip out of a 243. I cant believe yours didn't perform well. In fact I was thinking about dropping down to the 150gr ballistic tip for deer out of my ultra mag. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the balistic tips.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

[ QUOTE ]
300rum with a 150bt

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that is the problem. The prior posters hit the nail on the head. The 150 BT will explode at the 3600+ FPS you are most likely driving them. Try the 180 BT or as already stated, the 180 AB.

GL next time!

Congrats on the buck.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:33 PM
Gold Member

How long have those bullets layed around? sounds like an old box of the original bt's before nosler revamped them. the old bt's were tender especialy in 30 cal.
RR