Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Ballistic Gel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2006, 10:19 PM
Silver Member

Ballistic Gel

Just wondered if anyone has experimented with ballistic gel. Cabelas offers a kit now to make the stuff and I just found another outfit that seems to be even better. It's called the Bullet Test Tube [www.thebullettesttube.com] and it can be reused over and over. Cabelas says their product can be reused up to ten times. You can order it with extensions that will catch bullets from the RUM's and presumeably from the EDGE's, MOAG's, Allen Mags and Thunder's. I 'spect GG could put a 225 gr. Accubond into it at 1K yards.
The other neat thing about it is you can measure the wound cavity by pouring measured volumes of water into the cavity. It has captured my interest.
Festus
Old 04-13-2006, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Ballistic Gel

Just got a fairly nice batch of the Test Tubes, will let you know how it works out when I get some bullet into it. Have to compare a few different match boollites for something I am woking on, will shoot the Test Tubes as well as some other mediums.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
I 'spect GG could put a 225 gr. Accubond into it at 1K yards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well we really can try anyways!

By the way, very good post. Thanks for the info.
Any word on price?
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:46 PM
Silver Member

According to their website, the test tube is $69.95, the ultra mag extender is $69.95, the expansion material is $9.95 (might need two of those), the test tube mold is $13.99, and the extender mold is $13,99. You would also need to pick up a crock pot, or you could use your wife's if you're brave. The pot they recommend is only about $25 new so you might even be able to find one at a garage sale. It needs to have a capacity of 6 qts.

Looks like it would take about two bills to get set up.

I'd sure appreciate reports from anyone impementing this system with details like ease of use and convenience.

Festus
Old 04-25-2006, 11:30 PM
Silver Member

Ian,
Have you tried the test tube yet? I'm curious as to what parts are ruined after each shot as opposed to what parts are reuseable. I suspect the test tube and extender(s) will be ruined after each shot as they need to be split in order to find the results and extract the bullet and/or fragments. If this is so, I wonder if we could figure out how to build a reuseable tube like a clam shell or something that is split but can be reassembled and refilled. Any thoughts after having looked the system over?
Thanks, Festus
Old 04-26-2006, 06:40 AM
Platinum Member

Good post Festus. You found a good thing [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

GG,

W/a couple of chronos BC is not guess work and now terminal performance will be observable.

I'm bettin' a 250 gr 338 bullet at a decent velocity will need a water container after the extender to catch the bullet @ least at 200 yds.

It will be interesting, to say the least.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

Festus,
I have been traveling but am home now for a while. Will be shooting the Test Tubes tomorrow at a variety of distances. I have a writing job that they will work perfectly for.
Don't know if you are aware but it looks to me like the media is basically candle wax. Easy to melt, easy to work with. I will keep you guys informed as I use it the next few days.
You are correct - the first useage involves cutting up the outer cardboard tubing, we will create a new container and I am planning to get some steel plate involved to ensure center hits out past 3, 4, 500 ? yards.
Shooting a variety of match boolits into it - have a column to write on the use of those evil BTHP's for hunting. They bounce off game don't they? or is it they blow-up and merely shave-off a bunch of hair - not sure which is better BS.