Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

ballistic coefficient questions . 6.5 mm bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: ballistic coefficient questions . 6.5 mm bullets

The guy at the shop said it was a "Max". Didn't know any other details so i emailed Dan

Guess we hijacked this thread eh.... sorry

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-14-2013, 03:33 PM
Gold Member

Great. ! Lots of great info. I looked at the C E B . Site. Your right about the price but they look like the 130 gr 6.5 bullet would be ideal it seems. My 6.5 Cm should stabilize them. The lowest elevation I would shoot them at would be around 500' and more usually in the 1000-2000 '

For volume target shooting hopefully I can find a conventional bullet that shoots to the same poi.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
The guy at the shop said it was a "Max". Didn't know any other details so i emailed Dan

Guess we hijacked this thread eh.... sorry

Not really, we're still discussing the merits of 6.5mm bullets & their Ballistic Coefficient right?

Ok, so maybe just a little...but at least were aren't completely in left field.

t

Old 01-14-2013, 04:37 PM
Gold Member

Hey. Its all good info to me. I joined this site to learn about long range shooting. . And I put the info into the box.
There are only 2 kinds of hunting and shooting that really hold my attention.
Jump shooting brown bear at real close range, which I'm real good at. And killing wolves.
Tho I mostly enjoy all kinds of hunting. Those 2 I'm pretty passonet about. In the Interior. Wolves are the goal and coyotes and target shooting are the training.

I don't see the sense wasting money and time learning things wrong. So I appreciate you guys letting my pick your brains.

I want to keep my velocity between 2700+3000 fps so I need to match me bullet to work within that range. And a good pelt is more important to me than a bang flop.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
Great. ! Lots of great info. I looked at the C E B . Site. Your right about the price but they look like the 130 gr 6.5 bullet would be ideal it seems. My 6.5 Cm should stabilize them. The lowest elevation I would shoot them at would be around 500' and more usually in the 1000-2000 '

For volume target shooting hopefully I can find a conventional bullet that shoots to the same poi.
You might wan to run this twist calcultor. the CE 130 is 1.417" long

http://www.bergerbullets.com/litz/TwistRuleAlt.php

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-15-2013, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
I thot the SST was basically a slicked up Interlock.
I wish Barnes would make a 140 gr TTSX. And that ATF would let them make their Banded Solids again.

Ive never shot a Berger bullet. Just never liked their description of the bullet shedding weight. . .
It would be nice if Hornady made a 140 gr Interbond

I'll research the Bergers . Thanks again. !
The SST is basically a smoothed out interlock but all that hold it together is a crimp ring which I've never seen one hold together enough to see if it works to stop the rapid expansion. The 140 Berger performs flat out!!
I really love bonded bullets and used to shoot hordes of copper bullets, took me two years of shooting Bergers before I trusted them enough to not load Barnes or Accubombs under them in the mag. Every cal I load for if available I have Accubond, TSX, TTSX, LRX, CEB, Berger, Matrix and a few Hornady. I pick the most accurate and start shooting deer, the best one gets loaded from then on out for elk. On game performance is what matters not the name on the box or hype!!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-15-2013, 12:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
The SST is basically a smoothed out interlock but all that hold it together is a crimp ring which I've never seen one hold together enough to see if it works to stop the rapid expansion. The 140 Berger performs flat out!!
I really love bonded bullets and used to shoot hordes of copper bullets, took me two years of shooting Bergers before I trusted them enough to not load Barnes or Accubombs under them in the mag. Every cal I load for if available I have Accubond, TSX, TTSX, LRX, CEB, Berger, Matrix and a few Hornady. I pick the most accurate and start shooting deer, the best one gets loaded from then on out for elk. On game performance is what matters not the name on the box or hype!!!
I think CTF is fur hunting and not wanting massive hide damage.

~ John Quincy Adams