Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

ballistic coefficient on bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2006, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: ballistic coefficient on bullets

GG,

You quoted:
[ QUOTE ]
On the flip side, a bullet that is overstabilized also has an altered bc because of the agressive yaw of repose and the nose might not follow the arc of the trajectory although it will be quite a small difference. Much smaller reduction in bc than if the bullet is understabilized of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Leaving BC out of the picture, this very scenario you described here and what you have to say about it is one I have been criticized many times over for. So many shooter believe that that you cannot overstabilize a bullet, that it is either stable or it is not. The fact that it can be over spun is why I use as slow a twist as possible that will effectivly stabilize the bullets I wish to shoot. It is nice to see somebody else has finally agreed that a bullet can be over-stabilized. In a sense, you cannot overstabilize a bullet, but it can be spun to the point that it doesnt do you any favors elsewhere and can have a negative impact.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:17 AM
Silver Member

Dan Lilja wrote an article about this I believed on Sniper Country. He stated that when shooting a particular bullet, you must choose barrel with optimum (maximum)twist, just enough to stabilized that bullet. You get much better accuracy that way.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:46 AM

And you guys wonder why the hell I don't give out any bc's on bullets that I make !!!!!!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Platinum Member

If I made bullets...I'd never mention BC. It's always a mess cuz there are no standards.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:09 PM
Platinum Member

Richard, those of us who use them don't "wonder why" we know why. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2006, 02:49 PM
Platinum Member

Old 12-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="red"> Ditto!!! </font>