Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Ballistic Calculators???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 02:16 PM
Gold Member

Re: Ballistic Calculators???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDD View Post
We shoot the rifle through a Chrono and that takes one variable out of question. Then shoot at various ranges to compare the drop chart with the advertised BC. Adjusting the BC to and Fro to get the curve that best matches our chart.
That makes perfect sense I'm just trying to avoid buying 10 different boxes of shells to narrow down to 1 but that would obviously be the most accurate way. I would like to find one and stick with it and even have a custom turret made. I can shoot to 500yds. with confidence right now with the 165gr. Fusions but they seem to fall apart after that. I think I can extend my range a little more by experimenting with some 180gr. bullets. I do shoot quite a bit up to 800yds. and have got a 7''group at 800yds. with those 165's but I'm only interested in first shot on target accuracy (groups mean very little). Whenever I can afford to move I will get into reloading but where I'm at now it is not possible with my little ones around.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Ballistic Calculators???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
The first question that came to my mind was how are you getting your velocity data? Published specs are likely to be of so if your not using a crony to get an accurate velocity then I would tweak velocity before BC and see how that goes.
Good question .

Sorry I did not elaborate,(Normally I do) I use a chronograph for all testing, and assume
that any serious shooter that can afford one does the same.

And armed with the velocity and the trajectory they will give you an accurate BC and the performance range of the bullet. But be sure and use the G7 BC with your computer
for best results.

I never believe published data because it rarely matches your performance because of
barrel difference and climate.

I live 18 Feet above sea level and every test is slow and low compared to the altitude
and humidity of the published data location.(Normally 5000 to 8000 feet with a 30%
humidity) Our humidity is normally 95% and up.

J E CUSTOM